chapter thirty eight

"Rory! This is what my name looks like; Roooorrryyyyy." The blonde giggles while he messes with the equipment. Benny rolls his eyes beside him, "Will you grow up? This is serious."

"Says the almost 17 year old wearing a tin foil hat." Mary chuckles. He squints at her, "It's aluminum foil, to keep Serena's crazy waves out of my brain."

Rory's eyes go wide and he immediately runs to get his own foil hat. "Didn't Ethan say ear plugs were fine?" Mary asks. Benny shrugs, "Yeah, but I'm not taking any chances, babe."

"You guys are idiots." Sarah chimes in. "By the way, where is Ethan?"

"We ordered him to sit this one out." Mary crosses her arms, "He needs to recover after what happened with Serena earlier." Sarah nods and makes an "o" shape with her mouth.

"Benny! Is my hat tight enough?" Rory asks. The brunette turns with a small smirk, and folds the hat down on Rory's head so it went over his eyes. "Yeah."

Mary chuckles, "Benny." She stops the blonde from walking away and reaches up to fix the hat for him, Rory swore he could feel his heart bursting out of his chest. "It may look stupid but it may not be stupid." Mary says. "There." Rory's face was beat red, but he tries his best to hide it by shuffling away quickly and muttering a "Thank you."

"You're no fun." Benny jokes, nudging Mary in the side. "I'm so fun! I just like to keep my friends safe." Mary protests.

"Hey, guys." Ethan appears behind the group. "Wha-Ethan! We told you to stay home." Mary says. "Yeah, you can't risk any more exposure to Serena's song." Benny adds.

Ethan sighs. "Benny, when we were eight, and we went to see Buzzy and the Big B Band, and I cried?" Rory cracks up, "He cried?" His smile fades when the three glare at him.

"Did you let me face the music alone?" Ethan continues. Benny smiles, "Thank you," he holds out his arm for a dramatic handshake, "Brother."

Mary cranes her neck when she notices Serena walking up to the stage. "Guys! Ear plugs!" She whisper yells.

Ethan comes over to the equipment, headphones on, the others also watching the screen as Serena starts her song.

The screen starts to go nuts as she sings, as well as the kids watching. "The ultrasonics are off the scale!" Ethan shouts.

"What?"

"There's definitely something going on here."

After a minute, Mary feels a hand on her shoulder. "Ah! Hey!" She shouts as a tall guy tries to push her down. She kicks him in the leg, hard, and he falls to the ground.

Another person comes after Ethan, Sarah appears to stop them. "Ethan!" She pushes the other person away, but also accidentally knocks Ethan down, his headphones coming off with him.

"Uh oh." Mary nods to the boy on the ground.

"What?"

Ethan reaches over to grab a jar full of food, aiming it at Rory, Mary, and Benny. Sarah quickly stops him by pushing him away, "Ethan! What's wrong with you!" Ethan shakes her off and lunges at them again, but this time Sarah intentionally knocks him to the ground.

Serena smirks at the chaos that has enfolded in front of her, "Thanks for listening."

"If Ethan's mom finds out about this, I'm so fired."

...

"Serena's voice is full of paranormal acoustic energy, it's like affecting people's brains. Time to test it, Rory?"