chapter thirty nine

*sorry I put this as chapter forty by accident before lol anyway*

Tuesday, 11:10 pm

Erica walks into the cafeteria, averting her gaze around in hopes to find Sarah or Mary, or really any of her friends. She spots Rory eating at least four tacos at once by himself, "Hey, where are those guys?"

Rory shakes his head, his mouth full of taco, "I don't know, but they're missing Taco Tuesday, not wise," he pauses to take another bite, while Erica shoots him a look. "Oh, I'm sorry," He says, holding up a taco with bits of food still in his mouth, "would you like a taco? I must be a gentleman."

Erica squints in disgust, "Ew, don't talk with your mouth full."

Rory shrugs and continues to much on his food, while Erica sits down and leans closer to him, "So, I've been meaning to ask, how have you been?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know, with the whole, liking your best friend's girlfriend thing."

"Oh, yeah, I'm doing great. I should be ready to drive a wooden stake through my chest any day now." Rory mumbles, suddenly losing his appetite and dropping the shell back onto his plate.

"Maybe you should try and distract yourself, or try to avoid her. It's a lot easier to loose interest in someone when you're not hanging out with them and their partner every day." Erica states. "You think I haven't tried? It seems like every other day you and I become a part of another magical showdown with them. Trust me, I've tried the abstinence route and it hasn't worked." Rory explains.

Erica sighs, "I get it. Well, hopefully it passes soon. At least it doesn't seem like she's here today either-"

"Hi guys." The brunette smiles softly, standing over their table. Rory's face instantly lights up, despite the conversation he was just having, "Hey."

Erica slightly rolls her eyes at him and turns to face Mary. "Have you seen Sarah? Or like any of them?"

Mary shakes her head, "No, and frankly I wouldn't mind not seeing Benny today."

Rory immediately stands up straight, "W-why is that?" Erica shoots him a "don't even think about it" glare, but he dismisses her by keeping his gaze on Mary.

Mary chews on her lip, keeping her eyes down, "We kinda had our first real, bad fight last night."

Monday, 5:45 pm

"Okay, here we go," Ethan's mom smiles and places a plate of chocolate chip cookies and four glasses of milk on the table, "Don't you think you guys are getting a little bit old for milk and cookies?"

"Maybe," Benny smirks and stacks three cookies on top of each other, "But you're never too old for a cookie sandwich." He takes a bite, causing Mary to chuckle and swat his shoulder, "Gross."

"Just when I think you've found every way to be disgusting, you find a new one." Sarah adds, scrunching her face at him.

Ethan glances down at the same stack of cookies in his own hand, and immediately puts two down on the table and brings only one to his mouth. "Yeah, I know right, grow up, Benny."

Benny scoffs at him, just as the back door opens and Evelyn walks in. The brunette boy immediately tenses, knowing he was in trouble, as does Mary because she was upset with him for what he did that put him in trouble.

"Hello!"

"Oh, hi Evelyn," Ethan's mom greets her, "What brings you here?"

"Well I just wanted to make sure that Benny isn't making a mess." Evelyn says, walking over and waving her hand, causing Benny's glass of milk to fall over and spill on the table. "Ooh, do you have any napkins?"