chapter thirty three

(and now we're back in the original order lol)

Farmington, Connecticut. November 4th, 7:45 am.

"Shawn! Honey come on, you're gonna be late for your field trip!" Kate Reynolds calls to her son from the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm coming!" Shawn Reynolds shouts back.

He makes sure he has everything he needs before taking off down the stairs where his mother stood, holding an envelope in one hand and grasping the sides of her cardigan with the other. "There's about 60 bucks in here, that should be enough, right? Or do you need more?"

"I think that's enough, thank you." Shawn replies.

Kate pulls him in for a tight hug, "Promise to text me both mornings and nights?"

Shawn chuckles, "Yes, mom I promise. I think you're suffocating me a little."

Kate lets the young boy go, "Sorry, I'm just a little nervous about you going away for two days."

"I'll be fine, mom. I looked into Whitechapel last night, other than reports of a crocodile roaming the town and a high school play that went hay wire, I think it's a pretty safe place." Shawn says with a shrug.

"A crocodile? Seriously? Wow, well I guess you'll have a lot to learn about the place. Just be careful, okay?" Kate advised.

The boy nods, "I always am. I'll see you Wednesday." He goes to open the door as his mom calls to him, "Love you!"

"Love you too."

...

Whitechapel, Massachusetts. November 4th, 1:05 pm

Shawn follows closely behind his friends into a small diner, shoving his hands in his pockets to warm them from the November cold. "Seriously, Shawn? This place?" His friend, Matt, questions.

Shawn shrugs, "What? Come on, we have to visit a vintage diner, that's like the unwritten rule in movies about small towns like this."

Matt shakes his head, "Whatever, we're gonna find a table-oh, damn." Matt pauses, looking across the restaurant on his right side. He nudges Shawn in the ribs gently, "Dude, hot waitress, 3 o'clock."

Shawn follows his gaze to a short, brunette girl wiping down a table. The 14 year old freezes, "Holy shit."

"I know, right. I don't know about you, but I'm gonna go sit on her side." Matt grins, then gestures for his friends to follow. Shawn's feet don't move, he was too in shock to even realize he was standing alone in the middle of the doorway.

Mary says a quick hello to the table of boys who sat down near her, then goes to grab some menus. She pauses when she notices a young boy standing by the doorway, his mouth ajar. "Hi, your friends are over there if you'd like to join them. Or do you need something?"

Shawn didn't know what to do or say, it had been years since he had seen Mary, he never thought he would again. "I-uh-Mary?" He stutters.

She nods slowly, "Yeah. Are you a regular? You look familiar."

He shakes his head, "Uh, no. No, I'm not."

"Okay then," she pauses, noticing his shocked and unsure expression. "Are you alright? You look like you just saw a ghost."

He nods, "Y-yeah. I'm fine."

She shrugs, "Okay. Do you need something from me? Because I gotta go grab some menus for your friends, do you want me to bring you to them?"