chapter twenty two

Benny waltz up to Ethan's locker with a big, goofy grin on his face. "You look happy today." Ethan laughs. "Well why wouldn't I be? Mary comes back this afternoon." Benny replies, bouncing up and down on his toes. "Oh yeah, that's right. You ready?" Ethan asks.

"I am, we had a really good talk last week and things have been better ever since." Benny replies, referring to his worries about things being different when she came back. "Good, I told you you were being dumb about this." Ethan says.

Benny rolls his eyes, "Yeah, yeah. Come on, let's get to class. I heard there's a sub for Mr. G today."

...

Mary walks into the school, carefully glancing around to make sure Benny wasn't nearby. She got back from her flight last night, but she told Benny she wouldn't be back until after school today because she wanted to surprise him.

She continues down the hall, then spots Sarah and Erica by their lockers. "Well, well, if it isn't my two favorite vampires." Mary says eagerly with her hands on her hips. The girls gasp, "Mary!"

Sarah pulls her in for a long hug, "Oh my god, I missed you so much! It's so good to see you again."

"I missed you too. Gotta say, I loved California but it doesn't compare to being here with you guys."

"I thought Benny said you weren't coming back until after school today?" Erica asks. Mary chuckles. "I may have fudged the truth there. I wanted to surprise him."

"Gosh you guys are gross, but also cute." Erica replies, earning a laugh from the others. "I gotta run, I'll meet you guys before class?"

Mary goes to pull Sarah aside as Erica leaves, "So, how are you? Are you okay? What were you doing for those two months?" Mary asks.

Sarah sighs, "I'm fine, Mary, really. I've had some new challenges but I've dealt with and accepted them, I just wanna forget about last year, okay?"

"Are you sure? You know you can tell me anything." Mary says. She knew Sarah held back when it came to serious topics or feelings, it took kicking and screaming to get her to open up sometimes.

"I'm sure. Seriously, Mary, I'm fine." Sarah reassures her. Mary nods, deciding to let it go and believe her. "Okay."

...

The guys watch as their very attractive substitute utters a language they didn't understand, whilst drawing symbols on the board.

"What is she saying?" Ethan whispers to Benny. Rory sitting in front of them shushes him, "I'm trying to concentrate."

Benny leans forward, "Do you understand her?"

"Oh she's talking? I didn't notice."

There was a soft knock on the door, and Ethan quietly got up to answer it when he saw it was Erica and Sarah in the window. "Hey g-Mary?" He asks as he opens the door, revealing the brunette behind Erica. Mary shushes him, "Don't tell, I'm surprising Benny."

"Oh."

"What's going on in there?" Sarah asks, leaning over to look inside the room while Mary peers over Erica's shoulder. "Who's the fashion fail in the moo moo?" Erica asks. Mary chuckles at her comment.

"I know right, Miss. Lucia is subbing for Mr. G, she's so nice." Ethan says with the biggest smile on his face, earning strange glances from Sarah and Erica, while Mary rolls her eyes, 'Gross.'

"Right. Anyway, do you still have any of those little wooden stake darts?" Erica asks him while making a stabbing motion.

"You mean pencils? Yeah, why?"