chapter twenty nine

The loud odor of blood filled Mary's nose, making her stomach turn and her breath became ragged. "Where are you Benny!" She screamed desperately into the fog, tears streamed down her face.

"Benny! Answer me, please!" She shouted, running up to a door and yanking on the knob, only for it to be locked tight.

"Mary!" Benny's strained voice shouted from across the hall.

Mary ran as fast as her feet could take her towards his cry, "Benny!" She swung open the door, the stench of blood became unbearable but she ignored it. She looked around the dark room desperately, until her eyes fell on a hand laying awfully still on the ground behind a desk. She quickly ran to it, a loud shriek cry escaped her mouth. Benny was on the ground, a large gash in his side. "No, no no no." Mary cried. She kneeled down next to him, yanked off her jacket and pressed it to his wound. "Mary..." he whispered, his hand raised to her cheek. His face was pale and his eyelids looked heavy. "No, Benny, stay with me. It's gonna be okay." She sobbed.

He swallowed a lump down his throat, moving his glazed eyes over to hers, "No it's not."

"Nothing is gonna be okay."

Mary let's out a choked cry as her eyes snap open. She sits up, the dark room was replaced with her own bedroom, the stench of blood was no longer there, only the linger of the vanilla scented candle she lit last night.

She breathes a slow sigh of relief, but she still felt uneasy. She reaches over with a shaky hand to grab her phone and dial Benny's number.

Benny rubs his tired eyes, the sound of his phone ringing lured him out of his dreamless sleep. Without getting up, he reaches over to grab his phone, squinting at the screen. "Hey babe, what's up?" He answers groggily.

Mary sighs in contentment at the sound of his cute groggy voice, "Hey, yeah I'm sorry to wake you up, I had a really bad dream."

This got Benny's attention. He sat right up, now fully awake, "Oh, I'm sorry. Are you okay? Do you wanna talk about it?"

Mary wipes a small tear that had escaped her eye when she woke up. "It was awful, I-I don't think I can get into it right now. I just really needed to hear your voice." She admits.

Benny smiles softly at that, even though he knew she couldn't see it. "Of course. I understand, you don't have to tell me about it right now, or at all if it was really that bad. I'm here for you no matter what."

"Thank you. I don't know what I'd do without you." Mary states, pain hitting her in the chest as she says that. What if this dream means something awful is going to happen? How would she be able to stop it if she doesn't even know what it is?

"You won't have to know, I can promise you that. But, you know what, I'm gonna get ready now and walk with you to school, not before we stop to get your coffee, of course." Benny replies with a grin, knowing this will cheer Mary up.

Mary grins too, fiddling with a loose string on her blanket while her cheeks grow red. "I would love nothing more than that. And I love you."

He lets out a sheepish giggle, feeling like a giddy kid. "I love you too. I'll see you in 20, babe."

...

Later, although Mary felt physically better after her walk with Benny to school, her mind was still racing. She wasn't listening to Benny and Ethan go on about the new school play.

"I don't wanna be in the play," Benny tells Ethan, "I wanna do lights and sound!"

Ethan chuckles at his geeky friend, "Yeah, cause' that'll be much cooler."