chapter three

Mary was running down a hallway lined with doors, every one of them locked. "Come on, please! Open!" She cried, jiggling the handle.

"Mary!" A voice shouted from behind her, "you can't hide from me forever!"

"Go away! Haven't you hurt me enough?" Mary croaked.

"You really think you're safe here? I'm everywhere. You can't escape me, you can't escape your future. You don't deserve a life."

"Stop it."

"You're a monster, a demon-"

"Shut up!"

"You cause nothing but chaos and pain, everything you touch dies. Everyone you have ever cared about hates you-"

"I said shut up!"

"You know what you are. You can't deny it forever. Your true colors will show at some point, and when they do, I'll be there."

"Stop!"

She felt a cold hand catch her wrist. She tried to pull it out of the grasp but they had a tightening hold.

"You can't hide."

Within a second, she was pulled into the dark.

"No!"

She sits up in bed, breathing hard. The nightmares haven't stopped and she doesn't believe they ever will.

Mary has only been in Whitechapel for less than a week, but it's felt like a year. She hasn't slept due to these consistent nightmares.

She stands up and begins to pace, trying to calm her thumping heartbeat. Her hand moves up to her mouth and she starts to bite down on her thumbnail while her mind races.

She misses the times when she had a nightmare and didn't have to be alone. She used to have a family, a real one. She remembered waking up in tears because of her nightmares, but there was always someone there to call her down, to remind her that it was just a dream and that she was safe.

She hasn't felt safe since that horrible night. The night that everything changed.

'I can't live like this, at least not by myself. Maybe I should go to California with Louis. Or, maybe I should just make friends, maybe I can talk to someone here about my dreams. Maybe that'll help.'

And she knows exactly who that someone could be.

...

"I don't get it, E. I thought her and I were becoming friends. Why did she blow me off on Friday?" Benny asks Ethan as they approach the school.

"Come on man, we talked about this. I'm sure she didn't blow you off, maybe she really did have work." Ethan tries his best to make his friend feel better, but Benny is stubborn.

"I mean, I guess you're right. But I don't-"

Benny gets cut off mid sentence when a pair of big, hairy arms wrap around their necks.

"Hey!" Benny yells, but it's muffled since his face is in David Stacowski's shirt.

"Ethan! Talk to me buddy, you ok?" Benny asks.

"Oh yeah, I'm great! Nothing like starting the day in some guy's armpit." Ethan shouts back.

Mary walks up to the school shortly after; seeing what was going on, she rushes over. "Benny! You alright?" She asks him while shooting daggers at David with her stare.