chapter two

It was a long first day. Assignments, classrooms to find, schedule to memorize. Mary was thrilled to finally be home.

Before she takes her shoes off, she grabs the umbrella in the hidden compartment by her door, whilst checking the alarm. 'So far so good'

She holds the umbrella up like a bat, checking behind the couch, behind all the doors and inside each closet in the house. Fortunately, the only thing she found was a small mouse trying to escape the cold air. She let it out the door and breathes a sigh of relief.

"One day down. Nearly a thousand days to go until graduation." She says to herself.

No matter how safe she may seem here, she can't let her guard down. After everything that's happened, she has to be prepared for anything.

...

"So, what do you think the dream means?"

Benny just finished telling his grandma about his nightmare, unsure and scared of her answer. She stays quiet for a moment then steps out to grab a book from her magic room.

"From my general knowledge, a dream like that could have countless interpretations." She says while flipping through the worn out pages in front of her.

Benny groans and puts his face in his hands, "see, Ethan, I told you. I'm never gonna be able to sleep good again. By this time next year I'll have a coffee addiction."

"Now hang on a second," Evelyn says, "I may have something here. It says that it may mean, you're feeling mixed emotions right now and that girl you're seeing may represent something you want; such as love."

"Well, yeah, of course I do. Everyone does. But why am I running and who, or what, am I running from?" He asks her. "Yeah, and what's with all the doors, and why are they locked?" Ethan adds.

"It could mean he's feeling overwhelmed, you guys nearly died not too long ago to stop Jesse. You may be experiencing feelings of trauma you haven't recognized yet." She explains, placing a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.

Benny sighs, "I guess that makes sense. It still doesn't explain why there's only one unlocked room with a girl inside and why I wake up every time right before I see her face."

"I'm not so sure about that either." Evelyn shrugs, "you'll figure it out eventually, dear." She gives them a soft smile and leaves the two in Benny's room.

Benny falls back onto his bed, throwing his hands in the air in frustration, "this is hopeless. How can I stop it?"

"I would normally never condone using magic like this because it usually doesn't go right, but, maybe there's a spell you can use?" Ethan asks.

"I already tried that. I looked through every spell in my book that had to do with sleep, nightmare and everything in-between. I came up with nothing." Benny says.

"I'm sorry, man. Hopefully your grandma is right and you'll figure it out eventually, or maybe they'll stop on their own," Ethan suggests, "here come on, let's play Knights of Ninjitsu 3, it'll take your mind off it."

Benny stands up from his bed, "ugh, fine, you're right. But we have to do it at your house."

"Why mine?"

"I broke my game system yesterday." Benny mumbles, embarrassed.

"How?" Ethan laughs.

"I don't want to talk about it."

...

"Come on! Open! Please!"

Benny jiggled the door desperately, but it wouldn't budge. He ran to the next door, then the next and then the next. He glanced over his shoulder, the dark shadow continued to get closer as he ran and ran down the seemingly endless hallway.