chapter seven

Benny sat his computer playing his videogame while Mary was on his bed, attempting to finish her chemistry work. Mary was usually really good in school, she was decent at math and adored english. But science was never something she was really good at.

Mary groans and throws her pencil down after 5 minutes pass, "ugh, this is impossible. I don't get any of this!"

Benny pauses his game with a soft laugh, "here, let me look." Mary hands him the paper as he sits down next to her.

"Alright, so, what are you having issues with?" He asks.

"Pretty much everything. I just can't seem to comprehend it, it's like my brain is allergic to chemistry," Mary says. She starts rubbing her temples with her eyes squinted "and now I have a stress headache."

Benny chuckles, "here, let me," and gently replaces her hands with his. She smiles at him, "thank you."

She closes her eyes, trying to relax. After a minute or two, she was completely relaxed, a little too relaxed. Her body starts to feels light, she feels her back slowly start to come in contact with Benny's chest, her hair gently grazes his chin. A spring of heat rose up from the place they touched up to her cheeks, but she tries her best to ignore it.

Benny looks at her closed eyes and relaxed expression, his breath becoming scattered when her hair touches his chin. He had this sudden urge to kiss her. But he holds back, it wasn't the right time.

Besides, he doesn't even know if she feels the way he does. He clears his throat, "uh, is this helping?"

Mary nods, "yeah, I think I'm okay now, thanks."

He smiles and moves his hands away as Mary opens her eyes. He looks at her, noticing her eyes went from his lips to his eyes and back again, and he ends up doing the same. It wasn't until then when Mary realizes just how close the two are sitting, or that her back was still pressed against him and their foreheads were nearly touching.

'Screw it.' Benny thought to himself, 'If I don't do it now, then who knows if I'll ever have the guts to try again.'

He was about to lean in, Mary finds herself almost doing the same, when they hear his phone go off from the desk.

Mary looks down, "I think that's the uh GPS thing," she says with a nervous laugh.

Benny coughs, "oh, yeah you're right," he forces himself to stand up from the bed, 'why do I have to be such a coward?'

Mary sits confused, her mind racing with questions, 'was that seriously about to happen? Was he about to kiss me? Why did I want to kiss him too? This is weird.'

Benny tilts his head at the screen, "I think you may wanna check this out."

Mary snaps out of her thoughts and stands up to look over Benny's shoulder, "huh. What are you doing behind the school, Rory?"

Her and Benny look at each other with the same thought, "Let's see what the security camera has to say." Benny states.

"You can pull up the school's security cameras?" Mary asks him, slightly amazed.