chapter ten

Benny hurries into Ethan's room, clutching a new game and a bag of Kit Kat's. "Dude, your parents are gone, and we have the run of the house-well except for your sister and Sarah, your babysitter." Benny teases, "and Mary is coming over when she's done with her shift."

Ethan rolls his eyes at the babysitter part. "Anyway, do you have any idea what this means?" Benny asks excitedly.

Ethan's eyes light up, "does it rhyme with, gideo vames?"

"Almost," Benny holds up the game in his hand, "Knights of Ninjitsu 4!"

Ethan smiles wide, "wick!"

"I had to wait five hours in line for this puppy and I had to pee the entire time!" Benny exclaims.

Ethan stands up excitedly and takes the game from Benny, "well, it's gonna be worth every bit of kidney damage - wait, why did we need the run of the house for this?"

"You know, so we can yell and stuff," Benny shrugs.

Ethan scoffs, "you yell in here all the time. My mom is constantly telling you-"

Benny rolls his eyes, "do you wanna play or not?

...

"Hey hey hey nerds," Mary chants as she walks into Ethan's room a little while later.

"Ugh, no!" Ethan whines.

"Okay, damn, if you don't want me here, you can just tell me," Mary says, raising her hands up in defense.

"No, it's not you," Benny shrugs, "his processor burnt out."

"Ah, that makes sense, game systems are like forms of life support for you two." Mary jokes.

"Haha," Benny nudges her arm with his elbow. Mary giggles at the action, then gasps excitedly when she notices the Kit Kat's on the table, "you remembered?"

A week ago, Benny and Mary were walking to class and talking about their favorite candies. Mary mentioned how Kit Kat's were her favorite, but she hadn't had them in a while because she hadn't been able to afford them with everything else she has to pay for.

Benny grins, "of course I did. They're your favorite, right?"

Mary nods, "yeah. I haven't had them in like forever. You are the best." She cheers and playfully messes with his mop of brown hair. "Oh come on, why do you do that?" He whines and automatically goes to fix it.

Mary laughs, "because it's funny."

"Hey can you two stop flirting back there so Benny can help me?" Ethan asks.

Mary's eyes widen and her entire face goes red, as did Benny's. "We're not flirting," they state at the same time.

Ethan laughs, "yeah, okay."

Benny clears his throat and opens his spell book. Mary takes her candy and moves to Ethan's bed to put her headphones in and start her homework.

"Hey why don't we just use a minor reparation spell? It can fix anything, it says so right here!" Benny exclaims.

"Eh maybe-wait, boo ya! Got it! We're back in business." Ethan cheers. Benny places his spell book on the table and hurries to sit next to Ethan.

"Sword chopping business!" Benny says excitedly.

After a few minutes, they hear Sarah calling from Jane's room. "Ethan, you're gonna wanna see this!"

Benny and Ethan give each other a confused look and stand up from their game to check it out. Benny playfully takes out one of Mary's headphones as he passes the bed. "Ah! What?" Mary yelps.