The River in Reverse

Episode-8

My siblings and I are the first vampires in history, the Originals. 300 years ago, we called New Orleans home. I was happy here. For a time. Now we've returned, only to find a miracle.

"Nikole, the girl is carrying your child."

And with it, a new responsibility.

"I will always protect you. You have my word on that."

But our family has many enemies.

"Nikole destroyed everything good in my life. So, I'm gonna take away the thing she wants most."

These threats should have united us. Instead, Nikole has driven us apart.

"Why should I help you after what you did to Elijah?"

"You're my family."

"Nikole will never stop trying to control you. What do you want?"

"My sister expects my loyalty, as she has for a thousand years. But now, perhaps it's time to make a different choice."

PLANTATION HOUSE

An elaborate breakfast had been set up in the dining room of the plantation house.

Rebekah and Nikole sat across from each other at the table, which was full of fruit and pastries. One of the servers, a young woman, stood by Nikole's chair, who bit into her wrist and fed from her.

"Have you spoken to our good friend Marcel today?" Nikole looked at Rebekah curiously.

Rebekah, playing dumb, asked confusedly, "No, should I have?"

Nikole rolled her eyes as she thought about Marcel's absence, "He's been mysteriously silent-- avoiding me, some might say. I thought perhaps he may have whispered reasons into your ear. Along with all of those sweet nothings." She smiled at Rebekah.

Rebekah gave Nikole a sarcastic look, "If I see him, I'll be sure to ask if he's still sore at you."

Nikole smirked as she leant forward, "Let me give a voice to that look in your eyes.-" She piqued up dramatically, "My saintly noble brother lies writhing in agony in the Bayou, victim of my bastard sister's bite, when just one or two drops of her blood would ease his pain."

Rebekah clenched her jaw before she smiled fakely, "On the contrary, Nikki, I am simply enjoying my brekkie, waiting for Elijah's healthy return."

Nikole rolled her eyes and chuckled loudly, "Oh, come on Rebekah, you've been giving me the devil's eye all morning. Out with it!"

Rebekah smiled at her half-sister tightly and shrugged her shoulders, "Perhaps I'm concerned that if I voice my opinion about what you did to Elijah, I will end up on the wrong side of your toxic hybrid teeth."

Nikoke slammed her hand on the table loudly making Rebekah flinch slightly. Nikole pointed at her in annoyance and defended herself, "Poppycock! I would never bite you. Elijah made some very offensive accusations about my intentions towards my child. He deserves a day or two of discomfort. Besides, you know my preferred method of punishment for your indiscretions is the dagger." Nikole smirked at Rebekah teasingly.

Rebekah smiled sweetly as she stood up from her seat. She bent to look at Nikole in the eyes and hissed at her in disgust, "There is something fundamentally wrong with you."

She stormed out of the room, leaving an unamused Nikole alone at the table.

THE BAYOU