An Unblinking Death

Episode-19

THE MIKAELSON COMPOUND

Elijah entered the study to find Nikole searching furiously for something on the bookshelf.

He leant against the door, "Can I help you find something?"

Nikole didn't even turn to look at him as she described the book, "Yes, in fact, I believe you can. I'm looking for a book, about yea big, filled with our mother's most powerful spells. It appears to have been misplaced."

Elijah entered the study and sat at the desk, "How very mysterious."

Nikole turned around as she heard her brother's tone, "Indeed. At first, I feared the witches had succeeded in their efforts to obtain it, but considering their last attempt ended with me relieving a rather large, tattooed gentleman of his hands, I began to wonder if the thief wasn't a bit closer to home."

She noticed Elijah nonchalantly scribbling in a notebook, "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, brother." She looked at him in annoyance.

Elijah looked at her sister with a small smile, "Well, admittedly, I did have a theory that your sudden interest in mother's grimoire was in some way related to whatever foolishness you've been conducting with the Crescent wolves. Therefore, I took it upon myself to carefully place it where naughty little fingers could not pry."

Nikole scoffed, "And here I thought you, of all people, would understand. I am simply trying to help those wolves! Play Samaritan to the abused. Champion to the underdog, so to speak." She finished with a smirk.

Elijah gave her an amused smile, "How splendidly noble of you."

Nikole rolled her eyes and stepped towards her brother, "Have you ever considered that, like you, I am trying to keep Hayley safe? Using our mother's magic to empower her people so they are capable of protecting her?"

The noble brother stood to his feet and walked toward her, "Yes, unless, of course, they decide to seek retribution for decades held in exile, and Hayley will find herself in the middle of an uprising. One that will only provoke further violence. You see, you risk turning New Orleans into a war zone, sister. I won't let that happen."

Nikole spoke up seriously, "The drums of war were beating long before we returned. I suggest you use a little less of this--" She made a talking gesture with her hand, "and a little more of these." She pointed to her ears, and smiled fakely before sitting on the couch.

MARCEL'S LOFT / THE MIKAELSON COMPOUND

Marcel walked around his loft as he considers what he was about to do. After a moment of hesitation, he pulled his phone out to call Nikole.

Nikole's face dropped as she looked at the caller ID, "Think very carefully before you speak. The sound of your voice is likely to make me regret what mercy I've shown thus far."

Marcel rolled his eyes, "Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm on your "Who's Been Naughty" list. Thing is, Cami needs you. Whatever anger you have towards me, don't make her suffer for it. She's with Kieran."

THE BAYOU

Hayley and Eve were in their shack, where Eve was helping Hayley prepare for giving birth.

Eve nodded, "That's it. Inhale and release."

Hayley sighed, "guess this means no epidural, huh? You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?"

Eve smiled at her amusedly, "Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born. Stop worrying."

"Okay. Then what, Eve? I don't even know what it's like to have a mother, let alone be one." The werewolf spoke up in slight irritation.