♡21

*

"You haven't been to work for 3 weeks."

Jeongguk jolted his head up, bags heavy under his black eyes. "Yes. Sorry." Jeongguk grumbled out, clearly not had enough sleep, head hurting. He sat behind the desk which he sat at every weekend for his assistant job, holding a pen tightly, pretending to write things.

His boss, the old man, Mr. Adams stood in front of him, irked. "Is it law school? Has it been taking a lot out of you?"

"Yes sir," Jeongguk said, not telling him the part where he's missed all his classes.

"Alright. Well, today I have to go to court." Mr. Adams said, sighing. He looked down at his watch, and then back at Jeongguk. "You'll assist me. I assume you have all the papers, do you?"

"Oh my." Jeongguk breathed out, suddenly very awake. "Is today Wednesday? Oh gosh, today I assist you to court." Jeongguk reminded himself. He'd completely forgotten. The past few weeks have been so mentally exhausting that he couldn't help but let time slip past him.

"Jeongguk, take this job seriously, or you'll have it taken away." Mr. Adams snapped. Jeongguk nodded, taking out the papers and a file.

He opened it, quickly reminding himself of the case. He didn't have to do much, was more there to observe, but it was good to keep his mind on track. A case. Right. They were defending a man who'd been accused of money laundering. Right. Usual things. Jeongguk was quite certain the man had actually concealed the origins of illegally obtained money in foreign banks, but oh well. Being a lawyer meant sometimes you defended the bad person.

Jeongguk got up from his seat, following the older man out the building. He looked stressed, which he never did. "Is that bastard going to show up to court this time, or just send his assistant again?"

"Wh-who?" Jeongguk asked, eyes big.

"Kim Taehyung." Mr. Adams said, voice full or irritation. Jeongguk froze.

"T-the lawyer from the other side i-is Kim Taehyung?" Jeongguk breathed out, his heart palpitating. The older man didn't respond. Jeongguk looked at himself in the reflection of a window. He looked terrible, in an old blue shirt and black trousers, hair matted, his eyes dull.

Jeongguk took a deep breath and followed the older man out of the building. The court wasn't too far away, so the car ride to there was short, thankfully. They reached and walked towards the trial room rather fast, Jeongguk following.

Their defendant was already present, looking nervous, hands wringing with one another. He was the one 'accused' of money laundering. Some rich scum who wanted to be richer, as usual. He got up upon spotting Jeongguk and Mr. Adams.

"That cocky fucking bastard's here already," The man grumbled, and Jeongguk tensed behind Mr. Adams. "Son of a bitch. He doesn't have any knowledge of my doings, does he? You promised he wouldn't catch a hold of anything," The man snapped to Mr. Adams.

"We'll do our best." Mr. Adams said, but he sounded unsure. Jeongguk followed the two men into the courtroom and then stilled by the doorway. The two men in front of him went forward to sit in the front, but Jeongguk couldn't find himself to move.

Taehyung stood there, talking to his assistant, a woman. He looked rather intimidating, his blonde hair slightly longer from the back, brushed. He wore a black suit, looking ravishingly attractive as always, which disdained Jeongguk to no end.

"Jeongguk," Mr. Adams snapped. Jeongguk heard his name and brought his head up, rushing over to the older man. "The files," He said, and Jeongguk handed them over, and then turned his head a little.