29: epilogue♡

**

5 years later

A loud squeal filled the living room, followed by the sounds of feet thumping against the wooden paneling of the home. Giggles swam through the walls of the house, making it the only sound that mattered.

"Well, aren't you excited today?" Veronica said softly, a smile on her face, holding up the tiny 5-year-old girl who'd just jumped from sofa to sofa, creating a ruckus. The girl giggled at her mother's words and jumped off the sofa to run around the oak wood table.

"Joan," Veronica said again, the young girl's short black hair bouncing as she jumped around the room. "I need you to calm down, you'll use up all your energy, love."

"No!" Joan exclaimed triumphantly. "Where's papa?" She asked, looking past the stairs at the study room, the door which was always closed. Veronica walked up to the little one, crouching down beside her to fix her hair and take it out of her face.

"Papa's working," Veronica said gently.

"Why is he always working?" Joan asked, putting her small hands on her mother's shoulders. "Papa's never here."

Veronica's smile faltered, and she looked at the closed door for a few seconds, and then back at her daughter. "That's not true, baby. Papa's just busy these days." Veronica said softly, her own black hair getting tugged by the child.

"Okay..." She mumbled. "I'm gonna go play with my dolls!" She said loudly and then ran to her bedroom. Veronica patted her head to send her off and then stood up, looking at her hands, the gold ring around her fourth finger.

It'd been 5 years since the birth of their first child, Joan. They'd moved to a bigger house, closer to Taehyung and Veronica's workplace, further from where they used to be. Life moves on like still water, with no high waves or roughness, just natural movement.

Veronica opened the study door and then saw Taehyung. The man was sat on his chair, a pen in his hand, writing away on a document necessary for work. Veronica looked at him from the doorway.

"She's upset, you know," Veronica said in a hushed tone. Taehyung looked up at her, his blonde hair pushed back. "She said you're always working."

Taehyung put his pen down and stood up from his chair, walking up to Veronica. "That's not true at all. I've just been busy this week. Joan's quite the dramatic." Taehyung said, and Veronica chuckled up at him, gripping his shirt to quickly press their lips together.

Veronica pulled away, thumbing on Taehyung's collar. "Taehyung," Veronica whispered, looking at his tired eyes. "Take a break."

"I have to work, Veronica. You know the big court case is coming up and- if this one goes wrong, then my client will end up in prison for a crime he didn't even commit, and it's all so unethical, I-"

"I know, my love," Veronica said, her voice always so nurturing. A motherly tone, one she'd gotten accustomed to. Her brashness had gone away. She was calm, gentle, warm, but still so strong and kept her head held high. She was who she always wanted to be. "But it isn't wrong to take a few hours away to spend time with your children, is it?"

"Alright, if you insist." Taehyung tucked her black hair behind her ear. "Besides, I could take the kids outside, maybe to the riverside. We could feed some ducks."

"Gosh, you sound like a 50-year-old father. Go on." Veronica chuckled, and Taehyung snickered, walking towards Joan's room. Veronica followed.

"And no, not both the kids. Victor's sleeping, and his skin feels a bit warm so I reckon he should stay in. Take Joan, however." Veronica said, and Taehyung nodded.