Chapter 23

We left Hokkaido a few days later. I contacted Kotori's mom while we were there, telling her that Kotori wasn't able to walk.

"Um… that's going to be a problem…" She told me over the phone, "I'm going to be gone until Christmas Eve."

"I'm sure Umi and the others will take care of her." I responded.

"Eh, not you? You know I like confident men right?" She laughed through the speaker, "I'm just kidding… is Kotori mad at you or something?"

"Sort of? All I'm saying is I shouldn't be the person to help her." I didn't feel like going through the details.

"Well whatever the problem is, she's probably going to apologize around now." She said softly.

"You are the mom after all." 

"Soon to be your mother in law." She teased.

"That's if a miracle happens."

The train ride home had a bittersweet atmosphere. Half of the time we celebrated us moving unto the final round, the other half we were just sitting there wondering what to do next.

Arriving back in town, Muse parted ways. Which left just me and… 

Kotori…

"Um… I think I'll be going-" she grabbed onto my shirt.

"Excuse me, but how am I going to get home?" She asked sweetly.

"By walking?"

"Ahem…" she held out her crutches.

"I still don't see the problem…"

"It's probably because you've never been to my house." She started walking, "Come on."

I had no choice but to follow her. Besides maybe I could earn a few brownie points.

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!

Since when does Takashi Matsuno, the super-hot, everyone wants to date, hot headed rebel, follow a goody two shoes girl and simp for her?!

Since I fell in love duh…

And then it hit me, it was just going to be the two of us in that house.

Her parents weren't home…

I secretly breathed a prayer that something might happen. Don't look at me like that, you would do the same!

As we made it to her house I saw exactly why Kotori asked for me to come. There were about twenty stairs just leading to the front door.

"Do you want to go on my back?" I offered, sighing.

She grinned, "Why thank you kind sir!"

As I carried her she unlocked the door and we made it inside.

She laid down on the couch a little bit as I looked around.

I spotted a picture of Kotori, her mom, and her dad.

"I never asked this, but what does your dad do?" I asked.

She stopped for a second.

"U-um… my dad died…"

"Kotori, I'm sorry-"

"It's okay, I didn't really know him too well… he died when I was three."

Congratulations Takashi… I thought, you blew your biggest chance…

We sat there in silence for what felt like an hour. It was about six o'clock. We hadn't eaten much during the day.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.