e i g h t

"My dads office." John B said. "He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research. We used to laugh at him all the time about it like he was actually gonna find it but now that he's gone- we just left it as he kept it." He fiddled around with the keys trying to unlock the door.

"Yeah. For when he gets back." Kie said as John B unlocked the door.

"I've slept over here like 600 times and I've never seen this door open." Pope said slightly amazed.

"Here look." John B said grabbing a board off the wall. "This is the original owner right here."

"Okay, Robert Q. Routledge 1880-1920 there's the lucky compass right there." Kie pointed to the photo.

"Actually, he was shot after he bought it. Then the compass was shipped back to Henry. Henry was killed in a crop dusting accident when he had the compass. After he died, the compass was given to Stephen. Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam." John B explained.

"Let me guess he died in action right?" JJ guessed.

"Sort of. Actually he was killed by a banana truck. In country."

"Guess you could say he went bananas." I joked, but was met with awkward silence.

"Anyways, after that, Stephen passes the compass down to him." John B pointed at the picture. "Our dad."

"Hm.. sounds like there's a reoccurring theme here." JJ said.

"Yeah- um, you have a death compass." Pope said unamused.

"No I don't not have a death compass." He argued.

"You have a death compass."

"Seriously dude get rid of it. It's cursed and it's made its way back to you and Wren."

"Oh hell no. Ain't no way I'm dying for that thing." I muttered.

"Our dad used to talk about this compartment in here. Soldiers use to hide secret notes." He unscrewed the top of the compass.

"What's that?" Kie asked.

"That wasn't there before. This is dad's handwriting." John B looked at me.

"How can you know that?" Pope questioned.

"He does this weird thing with his R's look at it." I said.

"Can I see?" JJ asked. "Reddle- route- no I think that's an a-"

"It says Redfield." Kie cut him off.

"Right."

"Okay well what's Redfield?" She asked.

"Besides the most common name in the county."

"Maybe it's a clue." John B suggested. "Right? Maybe it's a clue to where he's hiding."

Me and John B are on opposite sides. He has hope. I gave up trying to convince myself he was alive after a few months. I couldn't keep lying to myself telling myself "he's gonna come back." I would rather have low hopes and not be disappointed when it never happens. John B on the other hand, he never gave up. His hope never ran out and he is almost positive our dad is out there somewhere. I'll believe when I see it.

"A clue come on that's-" Pope started but was cut off by Kie death glaring him. "But if it is a clue maybe it's an anagram?"

"Yes. Perfect anagram. You need paper."

"How can you concentrate with that thing constantly crowing at you." Pope asked.

"JJ and Birdie love the rooster."