t w e n t y - s e v e n

"Dude where is he?" Kie asked, clearly annoyed.

"Give him a second he'll be here." I said pacing around the dock.

"He's coming! It'll be fine" JJ said as he moved a tarp on boat.

"JJ!" Kie yelled as a cop car pulled up.

"Yeah, get back on the boat! Get back on the boat!" He said panicking.

"Wait." I said as John B was the one who got out of the car.

"No way."

"No effing way." Pope said in disbelief

"I'm sorry?" Kie asked smiling.

"You gotta be kidding me." JJ said, turning around.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin."

"Okay, that's totally believable." I laughed. "I'll buy that for now." I said as a gave walked up to hug him.

"It wasn't easy bro, but I got the Phantom for ya. And she runs like she was made yesterday. You ready to go?"

"Wheres Sarah?"

"She's not with you?" Kie asked.

"No, no, we got separated in the swamp she said she was gonna meet me here." He said, starting to panic.

"No we haven't seen her man." Pope spoke up.

"Well I'm not leaving without her."

"John B look at me, I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the boarder at Brownsville, you got that? Brownsville, hey!" JJ said, smacking John B back into reality. "You got that?"

"Yeah, yeah. Brownsville."

"All right saddle her up saltwater cowboy. Let's do this."

"Hey, hey." John B said, getting our attention. "I'm sorry for basically throwing us off a cliff. With this whole treasure hunt thing." He said, clearly trying not to cry.

"Hey, John B, yo. We were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ laughed, lightening the mood. "At least we did it together though. Pogue style."

"Pogue style."

"Get out of here. Please." Kie said.

"We'll see you in two months down in Mexico." Pope explained.

"Love you." JJ smiled.

"Hey, John B." I said walking over by him. "There's something I need to tell you." I looked over to JJ.

"Birdie, please don't tell me until I see you again." He started, tears forming in his eyes. "I need to make sure I'll see you again." He said, causing me to nod my head.

"Be safe, please. Call me or something, will you" I lightly laughed, tears coming to my eyes. "I love you brother." I said as I pulled him in for a hug, before he walked back to boat.

"Hey, hey wait a second." He spoke up. "Tell Sarah I said goodbye, okay?" He said as we all nodded along.

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?"

"Got it."

~*~*~*~*~*~

I walked over by Kie's car as I ran my hands through my hair, JJ walking over by me.

"I'm sorry about John B." He softly spoke.

"It's alright. He did what he needed to do." I sighed. "I just hope he makes it okay."

"Me too." JJ nodded as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Holy shit." I whispered after a few seconds turning my head towards Pope and Kie who were currently kissing.

"Hey guys, I'm sorry to ruin the party, but, uh we gotta go right now." JJ said as sirens approached.

"Come on!"

We all froze as cop cars pulled up and policemen got out of their cars.

"Pope." Kie said worriedly.

"Move! Hands up! Hands up! Move!"

"Pope, hands"

"We're too late. He's gone, damnit!" Shoupe yelled.

"Bratcher, have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids." Shoupe walked over to us.

"Alright where the hell is he? Where the hell is he!" He yelled "JJ? I see you're livin' up to your name. Pope how about you? This isn't a fucking game! You can do the right thing right now! Where'd he go?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Follow plumb to that tent. Wait for your friends." Shoupe said as he got Pope out of the car. "To your left here. Sit down. Don't move. We got a lot to talk about. Keep an eye on these kids."

We sat in the tent in silence and watched everything unfold, the cops brought ward into a tent to see if he could reach John B and Sarah. Hot tears slowly streamed down my face as the signal got worse from the storm- Ward had killed my father, and now he was the reason my brother was potentially dead. We all stood up as Shoupe and some other officers walked into our tent.

"Did you find them?" Pope asked.

"No." He said bluntly.

"So they got away?" Kie asked.

"We uh.. we lost them. I'm sorry."

"You lost them?"

"What do you mean you lost them, like they're gone what are you talking about?" Pope asked

"They took an open boat. Into a tropical depression, Pope."

"So they're dead?" Kie asked.

"We don't know."

"You drove them straight through the storm man!" JJ yelled, shoving Shoupe. "Are you kidding me?"

"Wheres ward?" I asked quietly.

"I cannot tell you that, I'm sorry."

"Wheres Ward?" I asked my voice progressively getting louder.

"I'm gonna need to calm down guys. We're still looking for them all right? Shoupe said to me and Pope, who were both currently yelling.

"Pope stop. Please stop." Kie cried as her parents walked into the tent, along with Pope's.

Heyward had pulled me and JJ into the hug with them as they wrapped their arms around us. Pope had turned to hug Kie causing the hug to disperse. I walked over to JJ who currently had his head in his hands.

"He's gone." I mumbled, pulling JJ into a hug. "I'm so sorry Birdie." He said softly, tears streaming down his face.

A/N!!

AND THATS THE END OF SEASON 1!
I'm so beyond thankful and have no words to explain how grateful I am that Birdie has came this far. I'm just in awe of the support and love you all have shown this book and I can't express my gratitude to you all. Thank you all so much for getting Birdie to 13k and showing this book as much love as you have. Stay tuned for the next chapter aka the beginning of season 2 :)

xoxo.