t h i r t y

We stood behind a fence across from the surf shop Gavin was parked at, all of us getting soaked from the rain.

"Nice camera. Where'd you dig up that relic?" JJ quipped "Why don't you just used your phone?"

"Well first of all I like my antique electronics." Pope replied. "Second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away."

"Lord of the dorks." Kie shook her head.

"For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass, there he is."

"Yo, get down." JJ tugged my arm to crouch down.

"And there's Gavin." Pope said as Gavin ran across the street. "Where are going, you son of a bitch. No, no, no, no! I'm losing him. Shit, where's he going?"

"Hold on." JJ ran behind us to look in the alley. "Yo! Hey, I found something come here." He waved us over.

"Gotta go up top." He ran over the ladder on the side of the building.

"That'll work."
"Hurry. Don't wanna miss anything."

We climbed up to the edge of roof, having a perfect view of the building in front of us.

"You rolling, Pope?"
"Are you getting it?"
"Can you see anything?"

"Yeah, I see them." Pope replied. "Ward just handed Gavin something. I think it's a duffel bag."

"Guys I think this is a payoff." JJ suggested.

"Gavin doesn't look happy about something. It looks like he's yelling at Ward."

"Why?" Kie asked.

"I don't know, but he sure looks mad."

"Shit."
"Whoa, whoa, woah."
"What's going on?"

"I don't know, they're fighting over something."

"They're really going at it." JJ said.

"Ward's kicking the shit out of Gavin." Pope explained.

"What are they fighting over?"
"Whats going on?"

"I don't know I'm trying to see" Pope said, clearly a little frustrated. "Holy shit. Ward's got a gun."

"I bet that's the murder weapon." I said, rubbing my head.

We all let out gasps as multiple gunshots rang through the air, all of us ducking under the edge of roof.

"Oh my God."
"Oh my God."
"What the hell?"

"No, no, no, no. That did not just happen." Kie panicked. "What is going on?"

"What the hell." I stressed as I rubbed my face

"Tell me you just got that." JJ said.

"Enough to put this asshole away for life."

"This is insane." I mumbled.

"Get down, get down!" Pope whispered as Ward turned to look in our direction.

"Holy shit. I think we should go right now." JJ said, grabbing my hand.

"We need to leave. For sure."

"Pope you have enough right?" He asked.

"Yeah." He sighed. "Hold on. He's coming out. There he goes, I think he's looking for the gun. I think the gun just went down the drain! He's looking for it, he's looking for the gun."

"Hold this." Kie said handing me her bag.

"What are you doing-" I asked as she stood up.

"What is wrong with you?" She yelled "Murderer!" Her yell was muffled as JJ pulled her down.