t w e n t y - s i x

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asked as we gathered up food for John B and Sarah.

"Wasn't really the kinda thing that needed interpretation. Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

"I mean for a couple of weeks and that's all they need, so.."

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings." Kie said.

"Look, don't beat yourself up to much, Kie. He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde." I tried to reassure.

"I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope. At least I knew what to expect from him-"

"Where've you been?" Kie's mom walked up, clearly upset.

"I'm fine. I slept here."

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, looking for you. We're you even gonna tell us?"

"Well I'm telling you right now." She responded, sounding half embarrassed, half annoyed.

"Alright what the hell are you guys up to?"

"I'm so sorry Mrs Anna, but we really have to go." I tried to rush things a bit.
"Sorry mom."

"No. I'm sorry, absolutely not. Have you heard what's going on out there?"
"I'll explain later."
"Have you seen the storm coming in? This is not safe."
"Look, I'm sorry mom. I have to go."
"These cops are armed Kiara you're gonna get shot. I am not letting you do this!"
"Mom, John B needs me!"

"I understand I'll be careful." She said as she shut the car door.

"Kiara! Open this door! Stop it right now!"
"I'm sorry!"
"Kiara this is not safe! Stop!" she banged on the window as Kie started driving.

~*~*~*~*~*~

We pulled up to JJ's house, earning a disappointed sigh from JJ. "Home sweet home."

"Do you want me to go with you? I can if you
want." I said softly.

"No, it's alright. This will only take a second." He said as he got out the car and went inside.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" I asked.

"He's JJ, I'm pretty sure he could get run over and still be alive." She joked. "So what are you guys anyway? Any updates?" She smirked.

"Uhm- yeah." I said as a smile surfaced to my face. "We may or may not be dating. You can't tell John B though, he would lose his shit, especially with everything going on right now."

"Oh yeah, for sure." She agreed as JJ opened the car door.

"How'd it go?" Kie asked.

"Everything okay?"

JJ raised the keys in the air jingling them around.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"It'll be fine. It'll be fine with the Phantom. She'll get out of here quick." JJ said when he saw the worried look on me and Kie's face.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah." He said as cop cars and sirens flew passed us.

"They're still looking. That's a good sign." Kie said.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"There she be." JJ said opening the door to the garage the Phantom was in.  "Hey girl. 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom, the first bot to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours. Forty years old! Forty, and still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

"It's kind of a junker"
"Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you."

"Let's just put it this way." He started. "You would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

"I just hope it runs."
"Oh no, she'll run all right. She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got."

"Who is that?" I said, still on edge from the past 24 hours.

"Pope! Finally!" Kie said walking over to the door of the garage.

"Hey there. What's goin' on?" Rafe said as he turned the corner from behind the boat, causing Kie's smile to fade as she realized it was in fact not Pope.

"JJ?" he called. "How you guys doin'?"

"Whoo-hoo!" Barry sighed as he walked into the garage from the other side, behind JJ. "Well, well." He said as he cocked and pointed the gun he was holding at JJ.

"See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money." He shoved JJ to the ground.

"JJ!" Kie called as Rafe picked her up and held her back. "Rafe!"

"That's what I'm here for!" Barry shoved again.

"It's not you guys we want." Rafe backed Kie up against the wall. "Wheres John B?"

"I don't know!" She yelled as she slapped him across the face.

"I really wish you didn't do that" He said lowly.

"We know what you did." I spoke from behind him.

"What? What'd I do?" He asked amused.

"You murdered Peterkin!" Kie yelled.

"Don't you ever say those fucking words again. Do you understand where's John B" Rafe held his hand around Kie's throat.

"Wren!" I heard a whisper from behind my scared position, I turned around to reveal Pope holding two steel rods.

I backed up slowly as I held my hand out and grabbed one.

"Stay down boy!" Barry yelled at JJ, kicking him around.

"Where's John B!" Rafe yelled.

"I don't know! I don't know!"

Pope ran up behind Rafe hitting him in the bar signaling for me to go for Barry.

"Get off of him!" I yelled as I hit Barry with the bar, JJ grabbing his leg in the process causing him to face plant onto the concrete as Pope fought off Rafe with his fists.

"Pope! Pope!" Kie yelled. "Pope that's good stop!"

"Pope he's had enough! Snap out of it!" JJ tried to pull him off of Rafe. "Stop! Dude, let go!"

"Look at me!" Kie yelled, causing Pope to drop the bloody, sputtering Rafe to the ground.

"We gotta go, guys" I spoke up.

We walked passed Barry who was still breathing heavily on the ground. "Forget about the money." I spat, turning my head back around to see Pope leaning over Rafe.

"Stay off our side of the island."