t h i r t y - s e v e n

I sat on the couch, avoiding John B and Sarah's arguing outside, JJ currently in the kitchen.

"John B! Wanna shotgun one in the name of freedom?" JJ asked, walking out onto the porch.

John B walked past, ignoring him. "Sarah you wanna-"

"No!" She said angrily as she walked away.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Pop, what happened?" Pope asked as Sarah bandaged Heyward's head.

"Oh, I shoulda known better." He sighed. "He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that- that key from that drawing you showed me. And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing. Now did you track it down?" He asked.

"I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment above the pharmacy just like you said." Pope held the key out.

"Shit, boy you should've gave this to me. I would've have had to take a beating. What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?" Heyward asked.

"I don't know. First I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet a rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family." He explained.

"None of that makes any sense." I rubbed my temples.

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it. Figure it out!"

"No. I'm not just gonna give the key to that lady. It's not worth-" Pope started.

"No, no, no. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?" He asked.

"No sir." Pope shook his head.

"Well, all right. Now I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now..." he pointed to his head. "Now? I'm interested. Well did they say why they wanted it?"

"Something about an old cross. I think it might be some kind of lost treasure."

"You know who you should talk to? Your great grandmother, Mee-maw."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip. She said the key leads to the cross of Santo Domingo." Pope said from beside me, in the back of the Twinkie.

"Wait. Can I see that?" JJ asked, holding his hand out.

"Are we supposed to know what that is?" Sarah spoke, clearly still mad at John B.

"I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance." He said.

"Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king." Kie looked down at her phone.

"New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?" JJ joked.

"Shit, talk about over-gifting. Look at that thing." She turned her phone to show us. "Looks like Theres a person standing next to it."

"So it's a giant ass cross?" I zoomed into the photo.

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829."

"Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ asked.

"Oh, no. Not the triangle." John B said sarcastically.

"It always Leads back to the triangle. Like every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda."

"What does a key found above your Mee-maw's pharmacy have to do with any of this?" Kie asked. "Where do we come in?"

"I don't know. That's a good question." Pope said as we pulled up to his grandma's house.