t h i r t y - o n e

"This is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully. So if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to like somewhere in this trash." JJ explained.

"Oh my God. People who used plastic should be shot." Kie groaned.

"Okay, personally, I love plastic. Use it every day. Love the stuff." JJ teased.

"Okay, well hopefully you recycle it and don't just let it flush into the ocean."

"I thought you would say something like that, so... trash bags." Pope said, holding up a roll of bags.

"Did you just proactively protect the environment?"

"Maybe."

"You want us to leave you two alone or.. what's going on?" JJ asked, being met by the roll of trash bags being thrown at him.

"Can you two just, I don't know.. get together or something? The tension is just- I think I need to back up." I joked.

"We had to deal with it for years." Kie looked back and forth between me and JJ.

"Just pick up the trash."

We finished picking up the trash and set the bags away from the gully.

"Well that was fun." JJ said.

"If it's not in the trash then it's gotta be in the storm drain."

"It's in th- it's in the drain." He sighed.

"Damn it."

"Of course it is." Kie said, not sounding surprised.

"Good thing I brought the crow." JJ dug through his bag.

"So are we gonna do like, rock, paper scissors." Kie started.

"No."

"-or alphabetically?"

"Nah. On three, Pope. One, two, three."

"Like oldest goes?" She continued.

"In the sewer, there's this worm that you get when you're down there. It gets into your blood, and then it has to come out your pecker. So uh, that would be a hard pass for me." JJ explained.

"Yeah it's gonna be a no for me."

"No I get it, I get it. You guys are scared." Kie said.

"No, I'm not scared."
"It's just a pecker thing."

"It's kinda cute." I teased.

"You should've just led with that. You don't have to be scared. Me and Birdie can do it." She said confidently.

"Okay just, you know, be careful." Pope said.

"I'll be so careful." She mocked.

"I deserve that."

"On a real note, Birdie. Don't die in there, just holler if you need anything, okay? We'll uh- we'll holler back."

"Very helpful, thank you." I said crawling inside the drain.

"Kie I am not confident about this." I muttered

"Shit."

"You guys find anything yet?" Pope called.
"Yeah, do you see the gun?" JJ's voice followed.

"Nothing." She called.

"It's probably at the bottom of the catch basin." I sighed, crawling out into the water and feeling around.

"People are so shitty." She said tossing a can.

"Eugh." I shook my hands off

"Wren.." Kie said, sounding scared.