t h i r t y - t h r e e

"Guys I've read this thing like, a thousand times. It makes no sense." Kie shrugged, sitting between me and Pope.

"I mean the Limbrey's own like, half of Charleston. What do the kook kings of Charleston know about murder on Kildare Island?" I asked.

"Why you specifically that's the other creepy thing. You know?" JJ asked.

"Please come alone, that's hella sus." Kie looked at the letter in disgust.

"I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because- Oh come on!" Pope was interrupt by the truck smoking.

"What is that?" Kie asked.
"Dude pull over." I motioned.
"That's a lot of smoke, even for your dad's truck."

"Pope I got sensitive lungs man!" JJ coughed as he rolled the window down. "Pope just slow down, what are you doing dude?"

"No, no, no, no, no." Pope panicked, getting out the truck.

"It's gonna blow up, it's gonna blow up!" Kie rushed.

"It's gonna blow up, you probably unhooked the radiator, Pope. I haven't seen this before, you knocked the entire hubcap off!" JJ clapped. "You might wanna reschedule your meeting tonight Pope."

"Plan B, we could- public transportation, we could hitchhike, we could rent bikes." Kie suggested.

"Yeah it's the radiator." JJ said as he looked under the hood.

"My dad's gonna kill me." Pope sighed.

"Yeah he might, he might." I patted his shoulder.

~*~*~*~*~*~

JJ walked over the bed of the truck, where me and Kie stood. "Dudes in heaven right now. 'Gotta know the calibration point before you can do anything with the intake valve, JJ'." He said in a funny voice. "You alright?" He asked Kie.

"My mom is so worried that I'm gonna be a Pogue that she's willing to send me to boarding school." She sighed.

"Well, I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the wrong crowd, Kie." He reasoned.

"I mean, im not gonna go. It's too late anyway, I already am who I am."

"It ain't all that bad, Kie." I tried to lighten the mood.

"Just look at that guy over there." JJ pointed. "He would do anything for us. That's a Pogue if I've ever seen one, bone deep. That's just one man's opinion though."

"370 are you serious?" Pope asked the man at the counter. "Well yeah, man."

"Kie are you sure your parents are okay witth letting you pay for this? Cause-" He started.

"No. Hell no. But I'm already a day late and they can only kill me once, right?" She said, handing the man her card.

Pope pulled the truck into an open field, spreading some blankets on the bed for us to lay on. We all laid in the bed with more blankets wrapped around us.

"Goodnight everyone." Pope said.

Kie reached over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight J." I whispered, laying in his arms.

"Goodnight Birdie." He whispered back, pulling me closer.