f o r t y - f o u r

From the very beginning, it was always Kooks... and Pogues. Some people with everything, and some with nothing. That's the way it's always been. And that's how they wanna keep it.

Some people make the best of it, and some people fight against it. The Merchant gold... was apart of that for my father, John B, and I. The treasure was our way out. How we even the scales- how the Pogues win.

But at some point... you kinda have to wonder, was the treasure an escape? Or was it a trap?

~*~*~*~*~*~

I sat on the sand, knees tucked into my chest as I watched everyone around me paired up, going their own ways.

"Birdie!" Kie called from the water, standing next to JJ. "You wanna spear some fish?"

"Maybe in a little bit!" I called back, watching her and JJ get closer by the day made me physically ill.

I watched from afar as they attempted to hit the fish with their spears, Kie finally stabbing a skate.

"You did it! We're having skate tonight!" JJ cheered, wrapping his arms around her. "Full Pogue!"

"You all right?" John B walked up beside me, referring to my obvious starring.

"Just peachy." I sighed, throwing a rock into the water.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"John B, your turn. Truth or dare?" Sarah asked, all us gathered in a circle.

"All right, all right. Truth." He stood up, taking the hat from her.

"This is exciting." Cleo watched amused.

"If you could do it all again.. what would you do different?" She asked

"Uh, get the gold out before Ward did." JJ interrupted.

"Maybe hide the cross a little better." Pope added.

"Not yell 'murderer' at Ward, maybe." Kie shrugged.

"Uh, steal a couple bottles of rum before we jumped off the boat?" John B joked.

"Yeah why didn't you do that, actually?" JJ asked.

"Maybe cause I was in a fight to the death?"

"I would look both ways before crossing the street." Cleo said, making us all laugh.

"Yeah, my bad. My bad." John B smiled. "What about you Birdie?" He asked, making me glance quickly at JJ

"I would..." I thought aloud. "Probably make JJ wear a life jacket before he decided to get absolutely clocked by a machete." I said, lightening the mood.

"Okay, listen. I wasn't really concerned with drowning, more like not getting my face chopped off." He defended jokingly.

"Your turn chief." Cleo looked over to John B.

"All right, Kie, truth or dare?" He asked, placing the hat on her head.

"Truth." She nodded.

"All right. If you could go home, to your parents' house on Figure Eight this instant... would you do it?"

She thought for a second before humming. "No chance." She shook her head.