t h i r t y - f i v e

"They followed you here?" John B asked. "Must've been your father."

"We're gonna have to find another way out of here." Pope panicked.

"Stay on the beach with your hands in the air!" A man yelled through the megaphone.

"Go, guys!"
"Run! Come on!"
"Let's go!"

We ran through the woods as the cops continued to chase us.

"Sarah you, good?" Kie asked, receiving a small, "yeah."

"Go, go, go!" I panted. "Holy crap, we're gonna get arrested." I said, running through the water.

We swam to the other side before hiding behind a tree. "There's no way we're getting out of this one." I panicked.

"We're trapped. They surrounded us. What do we do?" Pope asked.

John B looked over to JJ, who was currently cleaning the gun. He held him against the tree, throwing the gun in the dirt.

"It's gonna be alright." He whispered as the cops pulled up beside us.

JJ covered the gun with dirt before the cops stepped out of the car. "John B!" They yelled. "Step out into the clearing! Get down, do not move!"

"The rest of y'all stay where you are, keep your hands where we can see 'em!" Shoupe yelled.

"Hey, listen Shoupe, I wanna testify." John B explained.

"It's about time. Get down, do not move a muscle." He walked closer.

"Hey, Thomas!" Shoupe yelled as John B was being thrown and kicked on the ground by an officer.

"Sherif, what is that? You're gonna let that happen?" JJ yelled.

Shoupe tried pulling Thomas off, but was met with a shove. "This is for Peterkin." He said before punching John B, causing him to blackout.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the Notth Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convince, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." The judge spoke.

I sat frozen in my seat when I felt JJ rise from beside me. "Your Honor, he's 17." He objected.

"Be quiet, shh." Pope tried to stop him.

"He's 17! Are you kidding me? John B, we're gonna figure it out." JJ said as Pope pushed him towards the door.

"John B!" Sarah tried to reach him.

I sat frozen in the pew, everyone around me had stood up by then. "Birdie?" Pope asked, motioning his head towards the door. "Uh, we'll be outside, but just take your time." He sounded sincere.

I exchanged a glance with John B before standing to leave.

"Is this a joke? Are we in hell, or?" Kie asked.

"I should have never came home." Sarah cried.

"They're gonna kill him guys, I know it." JJ spoke up.