t w e n t y - t h r e e

"John B pullin a Houdini." JJ said with his feet in the hot tub.

"Yeah, where is he?" Pope asked. "I got my scholarship interview tomorrow we gotta get this done."

"Speak of the devil." I said when John B walked up into the yard.

"Dude I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything." JJ lied.

"No he did not. I did that." Pope said.

John B rushed into the house, not paying attention to any of us.

"John B?" I called.

"What's that all about?" Pope asked.

"I was gonna ask you the same question." JJ said.

We all walked into the house to find John B rummaging through the drawers and cabinets.

"You all right man? What's up?" Pope came up behind John B

"What are you looking for?" I asked, but still no response.

"Bro what's going on man?" JJ asked.

John B dug through the couch cushions pulling out the gun. "John B, what do you need the gun for man?" JJ pushed. "Talk to us!" He raised his voice receiving a hard push onto the couch by John B.

"You seriously need to chill. What are you doing"

"What are you, JJ now?" Pope asked, John B shoving him out of the way.

"John B what the hell are you doing?" Kie asked, following him out of the house.

"John B what the hell!" I yelled at John B who was getting onto JJ's bike.

"Ward knows about the gold..." He said, almost tearing up. "He killed our dad."

~*~*~*~*~*~

I sat frozen on the couch inside the chateau, head in my hands.

"You okay?" JJ asked softly from beside me.

"I just- I can't believe Ward killed my dad. I mean- John B was living with him, what if he tried the same to John B?" I asked. "You guys are the only family I have left."

"Come here." He said, pulling my head to his chest and laid on the couch. "Speaking of.." We heard the Twinkie pull up to the house.

"Wren?" John B called.

"In here." I called back, getting up from the couch.

"John B-" I was cut off by him giving me a hug. "I'm sorry about dad."

"You don't need to apologize." He sniffled, pulling away from the hug.

"JJ do you mind if we go do something real quick?" He asked.

"Of course not, bro. Go wherever you need."

~*~*~*~*~*~

We sat on the edge of the dock and a lit a candle next to a picture of our dad on a little wooden raft.

"We miss you." I sniffled.

"Goodbye dad. We love you." John B said before setting the raft in the water to float away.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Morning sunshine." I heard JJ call as he walked up the dock.

"Morning." I said groggily as I rubbed my eyes. "Where's John B?"

"Ran off somewhere. Honestly not sure." He replied. "Want some food?"

We walked back up to the chateau so I could put on some clothes that weren't covered in sand and splinters. I walked into my room, JJ following.

"I have to get changed." I smiled lightly

"And?" He asked, walking up and kissing me.

"I could get used to this." I said, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Be my girlfriend." He blurted.

"What?"

"You heard me." He smirked. "Be my girlfriend, if you'd like that. I know what I said, the other day, but I didn't mean any of it. I like you Birdie, and I don't care what John B has to say about any of it."

"I would love that." I smiled. "Are you okay if don't tell John B right now? With everything going on with Ward, and my dad- you know."

"Of course. I'll wait however long you want little Birdie." He rested his hands on my waist.

"Now go sit on the couch while I get dressed." I said turning him towards the door.

"Yes ma'am"

I got dressed and came out of my room to see a frazzled John B standing in the doorway.

"Ward's got the gold."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"You sure he got everything?" Kie asked from the dock where we all stood besides Pope, who was currently in his scholarship interview.

"Every bar. The whole enchilada." John B said as he pulled off his cast. "It's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit."

"John B-"
"What, Kie? It's a hairline fracture who cares?"
"You should care. Your arms gonna be messed up for life."
"It's fine, see?" John B said wiggling his fingers.

"Guys! Guys! Oh God I ran all the way here." Pope panted, hands on his knees.

"You all right?"
"How was the interview Pope?"
"Did it go well?"

"Don't ask." He panted. "JB. Look, I'm sorry dude. About everything."

"It's fine."

"But- but I don't have a lot of time, and I have information hat is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview. My dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy and needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there sitting in my interview, thinking to myself. "Hm. Why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down?"

"Gold." JJ turned to look to look at Pope.

"That's right." John B agreed

"Exactly." Pope pointed a finger to JJ. "Guys. This is our chance. But it leaves tonight and we have to go."

"Okay we can't give up now." Kie said, getting up from the rail of the dock.

"What's the plan?" I asked.

"We're gonna steal that shit back."