xiii. Apologies Gone Astray

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter thirteen; yrsa
❝ apologies gone astray! ❞

    HICCUP was yet to notice that Yrsa was watching him in the Cove. 

    Her plan after the outcome of today's training was to apologise and help him figure out a plan to get out of this. It took a lot of courage to muster like she had that night she found him to the forge to make it all the way here, ready to open up her cold heart and push away her pride. She was still thinking of what to say, sharpening her axe nervously as she waited. Toothless was sleeping; he hadn't noticed she was here yet, and if he did, Yrsa wasn't sure what he'd do. It had been a while since she came to the Cove. 

     She wanted to explain how she had felt, and that her own jealousy made it get out of hand. The last time she told someone how she felt, they hadn't felt the same way. Yrsa only hoped this time they'd stay friends ... or go back to being friends, because what they were now? It wasn't friendship. 

     Everything has been rather complicated recently, and Yrsa figured the only way to fix it was for her to just get over her problems and approach Hiccup. It was the mature thing to do, and she hasn't been mature so far; at all. 

     But that all seemed to fly past when she heard what Hiccup said. He trudged past her, hauling a full basket over his shoulder. He spoke up, probably to Toothless, not even realising Yrsa was right there, "━We're leaving. Let's pack up. Looks like you and me are taking a little vacation," he set the basket down, and Yrsa's anger flared. He was leaving━after everything? Why? He did this to himself and now he was going to run away from it? She didn't think Hiccup was such a defeatist like this. He was stubborn, not shoulder-hunched, hanging head. "Forever."

    He opened up the bag, and Yrsa exploded. "You're leaving?!" she snapped.

    Hiccup jumped, stumbling over his feet. He gaped up at her, "What the━?" recognising her, he steadied himself. "Yrsa? What━what are you━?"

   "Are you serious?" Yrsa chucked her stone she had been sharpening her axe with onto the ground. It bounced. "You're just going to leave?" She slammed the butt of her axe on the rock and stepped off. Flipping it in her grip, she marched up to him. Hiccup stumbled back. 

     "Wah━" he eyed the sharpness of her axe in the gleam of the dusk sun, "━what do you expect me to do?!" he met her tone, incredulous. "I'm not going to go against the Monstrous Nightmare."

     "You put yourself in this position!" stated Yrsa. "And now you're just going to run away from it? Are you serious?"

     This caused for anger to flash in Hiccup's own gaze. "Why do you even care?!" he snapped, pushing her axe away by the handle. Yrsa was a little surprised. "All you've been doing is trying to beat me! You just completely left us."

     "You left me!" she replied back. "You━you chose the attention over everyone else. I changed my entire dream for you and Toothless and you just go ahead and ruin our deal like it meant nothing!"

     Hiccup blanched, "You could've joined if you wanted to! I didn't want it━"

    "Oh, don't act like you didn't enjoy it━"

    "━Okay, so I did! But I've never had friends before, Yrsa!"

    "I was your friend!" 

    Hiccup scoffed, stumbling again as his feet hit a rock in their march backwards and forwards. "You never even liked me before Toothless. You hated me like everyone else!"