xxxv. Defenders of Berk

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter thirty-five; hiccup
❝ defenders of berk!

    HE WASN'T PARTICULARLY sure how he managed to get the others on the back of Scuttleclaws, or how he managed━or how any of them were not managing to fall right off them, but his crazy plan was off to a great (albeit rocky) start.

    Hiccup remembered the first time they all rode dragons, and he felt like he was fifteen all over again, telling Snotlout to straighten his back and for Tuffnut to hold on and not try to annoy his sister with stupid and dangerous tricks. All of them screaming and complaining, and Astrid telling them to "Shut up!"━yes, Hiccup very much felt like he was fifteen all over again, leading the group of them to Dragon Island to save Berk from getting killed by the monstrous Red Death. Except, his father won't be amongst them this time ... he wouldn't be there to pull him out of the water, and save Toothless instead.

    Hiccup was going to have to pull himself out of the water. He was going have to save Toothless without his father. 

    He knew the only thing keeping him from breaking down all over again was the adrenaline surging through him━the determination to reach his home before it was too late.

    "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

    Though, the one having the most trouble out of them, was Eret son of Eret.

    He clung on for dear life. Unable to stay on his Scuttleclaw's back, he held on like a baby mammal, legs and arms wrapped tight around the dragon's side as he slowly━ever-so-slowly━slipped underneath against the adolescent's underbelly. His dragon didn't seem to mind, bright and energetic, it zipped and zagged all through the icy caverns with his siblings.

    "Amateur!" Snotlout told him in passing before he screamed, too, having to pull his Scuttleclaw up at the last minute to avoid a face-full of snow and ice.

    "Amateur!" Yrsa teased salt into the wound, snickering as she dived her Scuttleclaw under Snotlout's and veered in front. The two's friendship hasn't really changed a bit since they were fifteen, that's for sure.

    "Shut up, Yrsa━"

    "I don't want to die━!"

    Hiccup took all of that back, wincing as Fishlegs slammed into the side of the cavern━they were all having an equal amount of trouble.

    "We can't fly these things!" cursed Tuffnut, one hand clutching his helmet tight onto his head and the other gripping one of the many fins along the Scuttleclaws spine.

    "Yeah━" Fishlegs slammed into a pile of snow. It took a few seconds for him to resurface, coughing up white, "━no kidding!"

    Yrsa managed to pull her bright orange Scuttleclaw up beside Hiccup, hair in quite a disarray from almost barging into a sheet of ice as soon as she had gone into the air. "This is as crazy as you've gotten," she told him, and he appreciated it━it managed to bring a small smile to his face. "And I mean it━this is it. And if you go over this, then I owe you a lot of money and a smack over the head."

    "But won't that Bewilderbeast just take control of these guys, too?" asked Astrid, frowning as she came to the same pace as them.

    Hiccup chuckled, shaking his head at the thought. "They're babies!" he told her over the roar of the wind. "They don't listen to anyone."

    "Yeah!" grinned Tuffnut. "Just like us━whoa━!"

    "This is━whoa━!" Gobber veered away from a ten foot tall geyser of ice, "━very dangerousAAHHHHHHHH━!" his Scuttleclaw decided drop down under the pathway of ice by metres instead of dip under like his brethren.