xxxvii. To A New Era

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter thirty-seven; yrsa
❝ to a new era!

    THERE WERE cheers; loud in Yrsa's ears. The entire village of Berk brought themselves to an uproar as the early morning turned towards blue skies, victorious for their new Chief who turned away from the churning waters that slowly became still. People cried, they applauded, the Twins knocked their helms until they were in a daze and Snotlout shouted: "I believed in him! I always believed in him!" (Something of which that made Astrid roll her eyes with a sigh). Valka smiled at Yrsa, and gently squeezed her in for a hug to her side that made Yrsa grin━she glanced up at the sky as all the dragons came to land; too many to count in such vibrant colours, coming to join them in such celebration ... in its own way, it was beautiful; and she was in absolute awe of it. 

     Toothless leapt from the ice fissure, his claws scathing the sand as he landed close by. Hiccup swung off the saddle, heaving a long breath as he, too, realised that it was over; Drago was gone. 

      He managed a smile as villagers cheered and clapped his back, though it did not reach his eyes. There was one man missing━one man who he knew would be proud of him, and yet Hiccup ached for him to be here to show it. He should be here to laugh a hefty laugh and squeeze Hiccup until he couldn't breathe. Yrsa knew that nothing would be the same ever again, not without Stoick around. It would be different, but in many ways, the difference would be something quite bittersweet. For she knew he was smiling down upon them all━but most importantly, smiling down upon his son. 

     Hiccup made his way towards Yrsa and she subtly reached out her fingers to him. He took her hand and she squeezed it. The cheers were deafening, but her whisper was as loud as any shout, "I'm proud of you."

     For a moment there, his smile did brighten in his eyes. 

     He glanced back as the cheers slowly died down. Yrsa's eyes widened, coming to stand close beside him━the two of them watched as each dragon turned their attention onto Toothless, circling him in attentive silence. His ears quivered, looking around him in a breath of confusion. 

     "What are they doing?" whispered Yrsa, careful not to raise her voice anymore. She met Hiccup's gaze and he shrugged.

     They all watched, stunned when Cloudjumper broke the circle of dragons━all of their own and each one from Valka's Sanctuary, even Drago's armoured creatures turned into weapons. The Stormcutter peered down at the Night Fury with wide yellow eyes, then, with a low rumble in the back of his throat, he bowed his head.

      And just like that, each and every single dragon followed suit. They bowed their heads, folded their wings and dipped their necks into low curtsies before Toothless the Night Fury who stared back, a look Yrsa couldn't describe as anything but shock on his face. She glanced at Hiccup, swelling with pride━a smile donned her lips, eyes bright.

     Toothless took a breath. He closed his eyes and lifted his head to the sky━he bellowed a cry of victory and the dragons all followed; they pierced Yrsa's ears, shook the ground under her feet and yet made her so happy and speechless with amazement ... 

      Her grin did not leave her face as Toothless turned to face them━the two young teenagers who had found him that forest five years ago; far different from how they were, now, and yet, still the same. His ears fell back, gentle and he cooed, walking up to them with that gummy smile that showed Yrsa truly how amazing dragons were; that had changed her heart.

      She chuckled and rushed towards him, throwing her arms around his neck and resting her head against his cool scales. Yrsa sighed, closing her eyes and squeezing him. He purred, turning his head towards her. Hiccup followed, cupping his dragon's maw once he glanced over. The young Chief breathed a sad, but genuine smile━all forgiven and all anew.