xvii. Dragon Riders

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter seventeen; yrsa
❝ dragon riders!

     ASTRID questioned Yrsa all the way back to the dragon arena. The other teens were just as confused, wondering what was going on, but Yrsa wasn't exactly sure what to tell them. She didn't know Hiccup's plan; all she knew was that it was 'something crazy', as he had said. Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs and the Twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut were still perplexed by the showcase that had happened in the arena earlier and might be just a bit wary to trust Hiccup. Yrsa didn't know what to tell them over that, either. She trusted him, but she also had spent time with Toothless. To the others, it seemed that Hiccup had completely gone against everything this village has stood for without understanding why.

    When they reached the arena, they all saw Hiccup standing by the cages. Astrid scowled and whispered to Yrsa, "What's he doing?"

    "Something crazy."

     "That doesn't make me feel any better."

     The teens all stood in a line, shoulder to shoulder before the small Viking. He glanced back and was a little surprised that they had all agreed to follow Yrsa here. In fact, Yrsa was surprised, too, but it seemed that these kids cared about her a lot more than it seemed. Or maybe, she just never let herself realise it.

    "If you're planning on getting eaten," said Fishlegs, propping his hands on his hips, "I'd definitely go with the Gronckle."

     Tuffnut shoved his way through the line, pushing his sister to the side. "You were wise to seek help from the world's most deadly weapon," he said, stopping right in front of Hiccup. 

     Hiccup arched a brow, "Uh ...?"

    Tuff frowned at him, "It's me━"

    Snotlout scoffed and pushed him away with a hand to his face. Tuff stumbled to the side. Snotlout grinned at his cousin, "I love this plan!"

     Leaning back, Hiccup furrowed his brows, "I didn't━"

    Astrid elbowed Snotlout, making him accidentally punch himself in the face as he went. She continued to scowl at Hiccup. "You're going to get us killed."

     "━Well━"

     Ruffnut pushed her head in, and Astrid rolled her eyes, stepping away. "You're crazy!" she got right into Hiccup's face and he yelped, leaning back. Glancing back at the others, Ruffnut battered her eyelashes and soon smirked, "I like that━"

     "All right━" Yrsa took one of her helmet horns and tugged her back. Hiccup let out a relieved breath. "That's enough." She was the last to stand in front of him, hands on her hips and grin on her face. "So, Horrendous, what is the plan?"

     Hiccup glanced at the group of Viking teens, and he couldn't help but smile, grateful. 

     Yrsa would admit, she was a little excited. There was a part of her that felt the thrill of what they might be doing, and it flickered in her dark gaze. Hiccup met it, and he said, "Dragons."

     And so one-by-one, Hiccup led the teens forward with a dragon to train. Yrsa watched, stunned to see him handle the dragons with ease, bringing them out and into the arena with calming words and hands to their snouts. First up, was the Deadly Nadder. Astrid was nervous, Yrsa could see it in her eyes and the way she hunched up her shoulders. She gave her friend a little nudge and she rolled her eyes, "I'm going."