xxi. Where No One Goes

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter twenty-one; hiccup
❝ where no one goes!

    "WOOHOO!"

The sea parted beneath them━an underwater cavern that lit up around them in waves of blue and white. Out in front, the rest of the world was out there to explore; a skyline that was never-ending, fading into the distance. Around them, the sea burst with Thunderdrums of all colours━blue, purple, pink━jumping up into the fresh wind and back underneath into the depths. Toothless weaved in and out around them, bellowing into the vast ocean with a high-pitched cry of joy that Hiccup couldn't help but meet with his own. "Come on, bud!" he laughed with glee, switching up the tail to spin past the leading Thunderdrum of the clan, flying past with a smile and a wave.

    Woosh! They shot up into and above the clouds. Even behind his helmet, Hiccup could feel the wind sting at his eyes, but he loved it. He loved the thrill, the feel of his heart pounding out of his chest along to a rhythm only he and Toothless shared in this moment━heading up to where no one else goes but them; only them.

Hiccup grinned and tilted them around. The dragon and rider spun upside down, soaring back towards the water below and then up again, spinning through the clouds that reminded him of seafoam. Hiccup kept close to the saddle as they got faster and faster before stopping. He heard Toothless cry out in delight as they fell backwards. The wind pushed against his wings and Hiccup's attire before they whirled out of it.

He threw his arms out, too. He couldn't help it, stretching out for a wish for wings of his own. They soared along the heavens amongst Timberjacks five times their size. Hiccup grinned and glanced back down━this was a great place to test it out.

Pulling back the lever, he started to lock in Toothless's tail. "So, what do you think, bud?" he asked. "You want to give this another shot?"

The Night Fury's ears perked in realisation, and Hiccup laughed to hear the annoyed grumble in the back of his throat, "Toothless!" he chided, amused. "It'll be fine."

Clicking everything into place━pulling a few levers here and there, switching up a few mechanisms, unlinking himself━Hiccup took a deep breath and said, "Ready?"

Toothless growled.

"I'll take that as a yes."

And with that said, Hiccup slid off his saddle. He plummeted down to the stretch of sea, yelling out defiantly. He enjoyed the feeling of the whole world cascading around him.

Toothless spun in next to him, and they were face to face, falling together. Hiccup grinned, and Toothless gave him a gummy smile in return, sticking his tongue out.

Getting closer to the water, Hiccup got back into action. Reaching up to his boot, he hooked in his leather wings and flung them out. His stomach jolted as he shot back up. Toothless followed, and the dragon and rider soared side-by-side. HIccup always thought being on a dragon's back was the best experience ever, but seeing the world from their point of view, with wings of his own, feeling the wind race around them, against his legs, his chest ... it was something different entirely━something much more thrilling, much more special. And to experience it with Toothless next to him ... Hiccup felt like he was in Valhalla.

He drifted through the clouds, descending diagonally only to jolt back up from the sonic blasts Toothless sent to keep him aloft, "Ah━hah!" he screamed out for the whole world to hear. "Yes! This is amazing!"

Parting through more clouds, Hiccup's thrill disappeared. A set of sea stacks suddenly came into view━he did not see that above ... whoops. "Oh, gods━no longer amazing━Toothless!"