xxvi. Rogue Dragon Rider

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter twenty-six; yrsa
❝ rogue dragon rider!

     YRSA heard Hiccup's furious yells before she saw him. She felt her heart squeeze, not sure how to comfort him. She believed in him━of course, she did. How could she not? She seriously believed that he had the ability to change minds and that Drago might not be any different. His good heart allowed him to give people a second chance. To trust even after trust had been broken. But Stoick's story settled in the pit of her stomach and made it churn with worry. Could a man like that be reasoned with? Could Stoick be right? And if he was? What then? Yrsa agreed with Hiccup, they couldn't wait for that to happen. They had to find Drago. But Yrsa also was thinking about what to do if they get there, and no matter what, Stoick was correct. What would they do then?

    Hearing the beat of wings through the soft clouds, Yrsa expected Hiccup to explode out a: "Dad━seriously━!" he stopped when he saw Yrsa, and his furious stance faltered enough for Yrsa to see his shoulders slump. She knew that look━she has seen that look far too many times, and no matter what, it always controlled him.

     Yrsa remembered the days when Hiccup used to be shorter. She remembered the days where he could barely hold up her axe each time she went to the forge to sneak a glimpse at the way he'd stumble, go red in embarrassment and try make up some excuse as to why he couldn't hold it up. And she'd watch him, and feel her heart flutter, and find it cute. Now, he was taller than her, now he was a man, and a warrior, the best dragon rider there was, but he was still that same boy who crumpled with defeat in her arms when Toothless had been swarmed by Vikings in the arena, thinking he wasn't good enough.

     She didn't say anything, just let her gaze fall, solemn as Hiccup fell back against his saddle, sighing up into the clouds. He lied there for a few seconds, briefly glancing at Yrsa who took a deep breath, forging onwards. Helrose gave a worried purr towards Hiccup, sharing a glance with Toothless as well.

     Her betrothed said nothing to her, but Yrsa didn't need him to say anything to know he was glad she was flying there beside him.

     So, he turned his attention to the dragon beneath and set a gentle hand on the side of his stomach, "Don't worry, bud. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. I promise."

     Yrsa found her fingers sliding along Helrose's scales herself━a silent promise to her dragon, as well as Toothless. She took another deep breath, glancing at Hiccup again who was still lying on his back, brooding. "I'm thinking we should head North from here then North-East, maybe that's where ..."

     Her voice trailed off when she heard Helrose growl. Immediately, she became rigid, reaching back for her axe as something appeared up out of the dust clouds. A hook━blue, wrapped in leather ... something was below. Helrose reared her wings a little, edging closer to Toothless who peered below, and emmited his own low and dangerous growl.

     "Hiccup━" whispered Yrsa, breath hitched.

    But she couldn't manage another word, eyes wide at the figure that appeared. Yrsa's heart raced━she was staring right into the gaze of a spiked helm, dashed with blue paint like the hook which now Yrsa could see belonged to a long, intricate staff wrapped in twine, flexible branches.

    Her grip on her axe made her look brave, but she didn't feel it. The figure grew taller and taller as they ascended up above. From the chin of the helm, extended two twisted tusks, dashed with blue━like the ice Yrsa and Hiccup had seen when they first found Eret. The rest of this stranger's armour was bulky, made of leather and bark. They held a shield, dashed in red, blue and yellow━the same colours as the shredded cloak billowing in the wind behind them.