xxiv. In Order To Change A Trapper's Mind

𖣯 ✹ 🌷(úlfheðnar) ꏍ !┈─❟
╰───►chapter twenty-four; yrsa
❝ in order to change a trapper's mind!

    TOOTHLESS noticed Yrsa before Hiccup did.

    He heard the sound of wings approaching and peered backwards under his legs. A gummy grin grew on his face when he saw her and Helrose trailing. Hiccup frowned at his dragon's actions, then he heard the roar of greeting characterstic of a Devilish Dervish and he spun back. He flipped up the visor of his helmet, "Wha━? Yrsa!"

    Elegantly, she and her dragon soared underneath, spinning softly through the clouds and coming up beside him. Both dragon and rider peered at the Night Fury and chief's son, freakishly similar in their side-glance; regal, a bit snobbish (as always) but also daring Hiccup to argue. In the five years since Yrsa always followed him━they went through things together. Finding and training Toothless? Together. Alvin and the Outcasts? Together. Dagur and the Berserkers? Together. Viggo and the Dragon Hunters? Together. Johann? Together. And one day, she was sure they'll step into the role of leadership over the village together, and work it out together. Yrsa wasn't going to let him face this alone, either.

     "Did you really think I was going to let you fly out here alone?" she countered, back-straight in her saddle as she arched a brow at him. She always had wondrous posture. "We have no idea who this Drago is, and if I'm going to be your wife in a week, I suspect I should make sure you keep yourself out of trouble."

     Helrose roared to agree with her and she smirked proudly, giving the dragon a thankful scratch to her shining, purple scales.

     She watched Hiccup sigh and look onwards, his hair flying out of the brim of his helmet and past his ears. The braid she had made earlier was still sitting there amongst it all. Toothless warbled up at him, if not a little concerned. They veered left towards the new islands he and Hiccup had found.

     "I know," he said finally. Then, Hiccup managed a small, playful smirk. "But, if I'm going to be your husband in a week, I suspect I should keep you safe."

     Yrsa narrowed her eyes at him and he chuckled, knowing the exact reaction he'd get. "Hiccup Haddock, if you end up cushioning me with furs and never letting me off the island I will scewer you with my axe and watch you bleed."

     "Love you, too."

     She scoffed and tilted her chin up, gazing out towards the ocean. A few Thunderdrums swept out of the depths with fish in their large, flat maws. Deep down, she knew Hiccup appreciated her following, even if he would grumble and mutter things like, "I don't want you to get hurt," knowing full-well she could best him in a fight if it came to it.

     But she also knew that the reason why she came out here in the first place was because she didn't want to get him hurt, knowing full-well he could handle himself extraordinarily. So, she took a deep breath and said, "I'll be careful, as long as you will."

    Hiccup's smile was grateful, "I will."

    "Good," she said, running her fingers back along Helrose's scales. She purred up at her, curious as to why she was so stressed. "But ... I have to wonder, why hasn't your father said anything about this Drago beforehand? What are we walking into? You saw the look on his face ... he was terrified."

    The look on Hiccup's face told her he didn't bode well with the thought of his father being scared of something. Stoick the Vast was mighty, strong, courageous and scared of nothing (unless it was something that might hurt his son). To be scared of a man in a far off land, it didn't settle well for either of them.