4. Kuroba Lapin

1037 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written August 7 2021
Posted September 11 2021

By the time Kaito had finished telling Conan everything, the tiny sleuth was white as a sheet. The people in black- the Crows, were a lot more dangerous than he'd thought. Conan swallowed "I remember those shootings, even though I was 13, Ran's dad still forced me to stay the night" Seeing the numbers on television had been horrifying. Over 70 dead children within the same week.

Kaito's gaze was dark, regretful "Do you want to risk something like that happening again just to lure you out?" It was a bit harsh, but it had to be said "They did it once, they could do it again" He usually did his best not to think about it, he felt a bit sick "Would you be able to live with that guilt? It's hard"

"I-" Conan cut himself off, azure eyes burning. Being caught sounded a lot scarier than it used to, even just the knowledge that he was alive could get people killed. His shoulders slumped as he seemed to curl into himself a bit "Ran..."

"She will mourn you and live on" Kaito replied softly, heart hurting for the other. The sleuth would be leaving behind a lot "She can't do that if she's dead"

Conan felt trapped, hating the options that he was being given "Do you have any idea on how long it'll take?" Kaito had apparently been Kaitou Kid, a very skilled but non-violent thief. That meant that the other had to have some sort of clue, right?

"On a cure? Not too long" Kaito sighed at the way Conan's eyes lit up "I won't give you a permanent cure until it's safe, but temporary cures for testing shouldn't take too long to make" The sleuth wilted as Kaito continued "Taking a permanent one would just make you more trapped, travel and going outside would be very dangerous" It would ruin the point of being in hiding "But as for taking the Crows down?" Kaito lowered his head apologetically "I'm not sure, my focus wasn't really on them most of the time"

"Why? They took so much from you?!" Conan was shocked. He'd be searching non-stop if he were in Kaito's shoes.

"Yeah" Kaito nodded, agreeing softly "But I've been focusing on my mental and physical health, I now have people who'd be crushed if something happened to me because I wasn't focused enough"

Conan flinched despite how soft the reply had been spoken "I'm sorry" With how he'd been training to become a detective, he'd learned that trauma was something that was hard to ease. The teen in front of him had been through a lot.

"It's fine, you're upset" Kaito knew that people who were upset tended to be more tense "Now that you're here, I'll put in more effort towards tracking the Crows instead of the bare minimum" His nightmares were going to get worse, he just knew it. Indigo met azure "I'll do my best to get you back to your life safely"

"Is there an extra room here?" Conan wouldn't be able to go back to staying with Ran now that he knew of the potential consequences. It was too risky, dangerous. He'd been an idiot for thinking that it'd be a good idea to stay with her in the first place.

Kaito shook his head "No but I ordered a good futon for you, it should fit next to my bed" Normally he'd offer for the guest to use the bed, but a futon wouldn't be as easy to use as his bed "You'll have to put it away during the day though, I sometimes have to use my wheelchair"

Conan blinked "Okay, I can do that" He felt sick, he was actually going to stay here.

Indigos softened "Your name is going to be Kuroba Lapin, it's a play on the character Arsene Lupin's name"

"That's a horrible name"

Kaito just smiled "It's a name that you'd never use, my name Kaito plays on the word Kaitou. It throws up the illusion of there being a theme going on" Some people did use themes when naming their kids "It shouldn't be a name that you'd ever think of, so naming yourself won't work if Edogawa Conan was what you first came up with"

Conan frowned, Kaito's logic made sense. He bowed his head "Fine, I'll use that name" Hopefully he wouldn't have to use the name for too long.

"I've already drawn up your paperwork and switched up the fingerprints of Kudo Shinichi and Edogawa Conan. Your fingerprints belong to the one and only Kuroba Lapin" It had been easy, too easy. It was a bit worrying that falsifying identification records hadn't been too hard for him to accomplish.

"Already?" Co-Lapin couldn't help but feel shocked.

"Hacking is a good task to learn when legwork is a bit difficult" It made him feel useful.

"So am I going back today so that Conan can leave for America?" Lapin figured that Kaito already had a plan made considering Kuroba Lapin already had documents to his name.

"No, then your professor friend would be suspicious" Indigos were dark "You're going to make a frantic phone call to the professor and a calmer one to your friend" Kaito paused "I could do them for you if you want" He still liked to practice mimicking voices, it was a useful skill that he didn't want to get rusty.

"I don't think I'd be able to do it..." Faking being in danger to Hakase, leaving Ran all alone. It was something that he couldn't risk messing up on. Both Ran and the professor were smart, it would have to be believable. They'd look for him otherwise.

Kaito nodded "Okay, I'll make the call in a bit" He paused "There's a spare crutch under the bed, can you hand it to me?" He'd be stuck on the floor otherwise since Lapin had broken his. He'd be scolded if either Ginzo or Aoko found out he dragged himself across the floor.

Lapin winced "I'm sorry..." He knelt down and located said crutch "Are you okay?"

"I'll check myself for bruises when I get changed" He attempted to raise himself up with his crutch, only to hiss in pain "Actually could you roll over my wheelchair, My arm isn't agreeing to the crutches.

The tiny sleuth obeyed, feeling guilty.

Me: So of course a new name was required, I quite like Kuroba Lapin. Lapin is french for rabbit but also is similar enough to Lupin for it to become something like a pun? Maybe. Also, french!

Kaito, Kaitou, Lapin, Lupin ^-^

Comment? ^-^

QAQ I want pizza or something greasy do bad, all this healthy meal drinks and yogurt is making me crave grease

I never really had any pain from wisdom teeth, but what if that chewing causes damage!?! Gah

I'm only taking my ibuprofen since it's an anti-inflammatory, I never felt any pain when I woke up despite it being long out of my system by then

The amoxicillin is something I'm not gonna skip, ever, I'm no fool •3•

Will ditch the ibuprofen when I can open my mouth enough to not struggle with putting a spoon in my mouth (swelling problem not pain)

Am I lucky? Or is it normal for there to be practically no pain after wisdom teeth removal? 600mg ibuprofen (taken morning, noon, and before bed) is my only pain related med