34. Temperature

1019 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written August 3 2022
Posted August 9 2022

NEXT UPDATE is on August 30 2022

As it turned out, being injected by nanobots sucked. Lapin had heeded Kaito's warnings, but he'd thought that the other had been making it sound worse than it actually was. Lapin felt horrible, he could practically feel the heat radiating from his own body, the initial introduction of the nanobots to his system was going exactly how they'd been expecting it to go. His temperature was at 103.5 and it would stay that way for at least a whole day before falling to just slightly above the average temperature for someone.

"It's weird having a fever without the other things that usually accompany it" Lapin sighed, instead of feeling chilled, he just felt horribly hot.

Kaito nodded sympathetically "It's an unnatural fever, and the nanobots also help to regulate the body naturally" Meaning that they were actively soothing the side effects that their presence was causing. It was useful, allowing him to use more of his homemade remedies than what the average person would be able to handle. Kaito offered a small smile "You won't react like this again to nanobots so long as you have at least one inside of you" Indigos gleamed "The raise in your natural body temperature would be another thing that you'd have similar to me and different from both Edogawa Conan and Kudo Shinichi"

Lapin hummed, sinking a bit more into the chilled water. He was wearing swim shorts in a somewhat small basin that was normally used when Kaito needed to just soak himself with either very hot or cold water without taking up a bathroom. The heating and cooling elements built into it were amazing in Lapin's opinion, the temperature always stayed just right "And I'd practically need a total blood transfusion for that to happen right?" He tried not to think about why Kaito needed to build himself a basin with such precise temperature controls. Probably for pain.

"Yup, and at that point you'd probably be dead" He'd given Lapin less nanobots than he'd given himself due to him being bigger "They're attached to your blood so if that multiplies, so will they" He paused "So they'll still work just as well when you're using an antidote" He actually already has a few ready to go for Lapin "They'll also decrease when your blood decreases so your veins won't explode when you shrink back"

The tiny sleuth made a face at the mental image that caused "That's good to know" He hadn't even thought of that being a possibility.

Kaito pursed his lips "Once we've established you publicly as my partner and brother, we'll need to kill Kudo Shinichi"

"Won't that be risky?"

"Somewhat" Kaito agreed "But if you look roughed up enough, it could be seen as you escaping a kidnapping"

Lapin frowned "To the public yes, but Hakase already knows that I've shrunk" He would know that something was up, and then share it with his parents.

Kaito looked away "If you fast just enough before taking an antidote, you should end up really malnourished..." He wouldn't normally recommend doing that "We'll have you wear dirty and torn white clothes, bloodstains..." Kaito grimaced "Makeup will help add surgical scars and needle marks" Like he'd been experimented on.

Azure narrowed "How would I 'Die'?" He inquired, feeling queasy. Ran, Hakase, and his parents... They'd be hurt.

"You'll be shot at a pier and fall into the ocean, the thing will be caught by some newly upgraded security cameras and by the time they're reviewed..." Kaito shrugged "It would have been too late to actually expect your body to be found" There was a reason why bodies were often disposed of at sea "You're already declared missing, so the Crows would assume that you ran into some really bad luck" Kaito eyed the sleuth "Being a detective is a good way for making enemies after all"

Lapin bit his lip "Everyone's reactions would be real, the Crows wouldn't risk drawing attention to themselves to silence anyone" He breathed. The plan was cruel, but an efficient one.

"Right" Kaito offered a small smile "When I'm done redesigning your tools, we can take you to the station"

Perking up a bit, Lapin nodded. He was a bit anxious about the cat theme, but it wasn't obnoxious and the more detailed sketches actually made him look cool... and cute. It wasn't too overdone and with such elegant designs... He couldn't hate it. Having a super cool tail also made it better "Finally, detective work"

"I'll also make some pie to bring in when we go, everyone there likes pie except for one person" Kaito smirked "But that person is annoying so it doesn't matter" The officer didn't like his presence there due to him being disabled, which was a fair initial judgement. However, he'd already proven that he was more than capable of helping out and working on cases.

"Lemon pie?" Lapin inquired hopefully. It was his favourite.

Kaito hummed "Well one of them will be lemon, I'll probably have to make a few to feed everyone" Baking was fun.

Lapin shifted "I wish cold baths while handling a fever always worked out as well as this" Normally a big fever left him feeling too chilled to willingly have a cool soak. It normally made him want to huddle under blankets even though that would be counterproductive.

"Same" Kaito agreed "Unfortunately, they'll only reduce the effects a bit once your body has adapted sufficiently" The nanobots could only do so much "Masking the effects of illnesses isn't good, the effects are often what make us realize that we're sick"

The tiny sleuth tilted his head in thought before nodding "I guess you're right" At least he could be relatively comfortable for this fever. He'd been miserable up until the water had reached his desired temperature.

"At least you have that basin" Kaito teased "I didn't make it until after I put nanobots inside of me so I had to suffer through the whole thing" It had scared Ginzo, and Aoko because of how much his temperature had risen. It had been difficult to talk them out of taking him to the hospital, the fact that the cause was nanobots had eventually made them give in.

Me: The ultimate bath! And future plans to kill Shinichi~

Comment? ^-^

•3• I like my cat, but he's so clumsy... He falls off my bed a lot, and rips my sheets

°^° bedsheets are expensive! Mine were extra fancy clearance ones that are cool... Clearance was most likely because the sheets wrinkle so much XD

My cat makes it so I'll probably stick to cheaper ones because of rips, gah. Bought current sheets before obtaining clumsy cat