7. A Fire

1030 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written September 1 2021
Posted October 9 2021

With Ran's call done and over with, Kaito didn't waste much time in calling the professor. This one was the most important one, the one that would sever the tiny sleuth's ability to return safely without a lot of questions being brought up "Hakase" Kaito made sure his voice was low, stressed, tinged with traces of terror. Fear was something he was well acquainted with, it was easy to channel those emotions into his voice.

The professor's response was concerned "Shinichi wha-"

"Hakase listen" Kaito was quick to cut the other off "I've been found out, they know that I'm alive, I've got to go" The professor tied to say something but Kaito just talked over him "Don't hide, don't act any different. Conan is returning to America, just express how much you'll miss him. Don't let anyone discover the connection between Edogawa Conan and Kudo Shinichi" Kaito trailed off, sounding remorseful, but continued before the other could get a word in "It's bad, the FBI, CIA, and many other international groups haven't been able to take them down even decades after their discovery"

Kaito winced at Lapin's horror stricken face, oh, he must have left that part out. He pushed aside his concern and continued to speak "Telling my parents would only get them killed, tell them that I dropped Conan off with you if they ask about Conan. They can't know, please Hakase" Kaito pleased, sounding desperate "Just make it seem like you thought that I was with them instead of missing I-"

Lapin jumped when Kaito pressed a button on his own phone, the loud noise of bullets flying flooding the room before Kaito slammed 'Conan's' phone against the wall, destroying it. The tiny sleuth didn't know what to feel "Were you telling the truth about the FBI and CIA?" He was desperately hoping that the other had lied for the sake of sounding convincing.

Indigos darkened regretfully "I found traces of the Crows' existence in their databases, it's well hidden, but I'm quite adept at hacking" It had been very disheartening to discover, so he could only guess that the information would hit Lapin even worse.

"Oh..." The tiny sleuth looked down at his own hands, they were too small "Then how are we going to beat them?"

Kaito scowled "Just because a bunch of adults can't do it doesn't mean that we can't" He was not going to let Lapin fall into a depressive state, at least not a major one. Moping for a little while wasn't something that he'd blame the other for, just so long as it continued for 'only a little while'. He wheeled himself over to awkwardly pick up the broken phone, opening it to make sure that the SIM card was destroyed, it was "We've both spent most of our lives making those older than us look like idiots" Sorry Ginzo... "We will be able to do this, it will just take some time"

Azure lit up a bit, the other was right, they were exceptionally smart compared to those around them. He'd seen Kid heists on TV, Kaito was brilliant, and he was too. With a new fire lit within him, Lapin nodded "We will beat them, we have to" He clenched his fist.

"You're right" Kaito nodded, relieved that he'd been able to light a fire within the sleuth "And in the meantime you'll still be going out there to help solve cases"

Lapin blinked, confused "But I thought that that's what got me in trouble in the first place..." Why would Kaito be so eager to allow him to work on cases.

Kaito offered a small smile "I've been wanting to do field work as a detective, but I can't just get around well enough to find what I need to find" Thankfully Danashi was very encouraging and gave him every change that he could get to help "You'd be my extra smart long lost brother, you'll do the clue finding whenever I can't get somewhere" Was it bad that he was actually excited for this opportunity? "You'll locate the hard to reach clues, show me them, then let me practice solving the case" He paused "Unless it's time sensitive, then you voicing your conclusion would be better"

"You want to be a detective?" That was surprising. Lapin thought over the offer, Kaito wasn't planning on just taking credit, the other's plan was to learn. The other's physical disability was very limiting, but Kaito seemed to be fairly mobile- when he wasn't wheelchair bound

"Yeah" Kaito looked away, a faint pink tint on his cheeks "I've always been a fan of detectives and the police. That's why I'm getting all the book stuff completed so that when I can walk again, I can work on getting myself back into top shape" Sure he was currently quite fit, but it would be even better when his legs worked right "It's no secret around the station, so nobody would bat an eye if I were to take advantage of your mobility to improve my skills" Kaito paused "You wouldn't even have to act like a dumb child, because we're both smart and 'related to each other'"

Not acting like a dumb child... The thought was mildly comforting "Okay, I'll help you" It was like he was trading one piece of familiarity towards his old life for a different piece. He'd still be fighting crime, he wouldn't be doing nothing.

Kaito beamed, pleased that Lapin had accepted the offer "I'll work on some fancy gadgets for you- don't worry, people know that I like to make gadgets and it's only natural that I'd give you some to protect yourself as you help me" Being known as eccentric was very useful, it allowed him to get away with a lot of things.

Lapin blinked, not having to hide while at the same being extra hidden seemed very strange and counter intuitive "Would that really be safe?"

"People who are in danger are expected to hide, would you really expect someone in hiding to be so visible?" Indigos gleamed as Lapin shook his head "It just doesn't make sense, and with how much you look like me, nobody would expect you to be anyone other than my brother"

Me: So... Lapin will be something akin to a seeing eye dog for Kaito when clues are hard to get too? Sure Kaito isn't blind, but Lapin will be doing some footwork for him in order to show him the clues

Comment? ^-^

•3• I ate too much yesterday,

I feel like Imma throw up, so wanna get it over with •^• so I stop feeling sick. That happened the last time I legitimately over ate enough by mistake. (Never induced vomit, my body just said nope to the ungodly amounts of food I ate)

Yesterday was my birthday, so I had lots of yummy food QAQ so good, but I ate too much too fast. And now I'm hoping that I don't throw up.

Valuable nutrients from oven cooked chicken must not be wasted!

Current Berry: I feel better and managed to not throw up my nutrients >~< still feel kinda full though but hungry too. I feel a little sick still so maybe no breakfast.

I also slept in till 6:50am then rushed to the shower. That is why the chappy is a bit later than usual XP