49. Sneaky sneak sneak of sneak burning

1032 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

NEXT UPDATE is on March 21 2023

The fire was eventually put out with a legal and mass marketed fire extinguisher. Kaito had only had a few handfuls of the fire killing powder so it hadn't been able to do much of anything in the long run. That didn't mean that he wasn't happy about the results though. He'd be able to put out mini fires easily! All without carrying a compressed can that could become damaged and make a mess.

"Ayako where are you?!" Kento called. The fire was gone but there was still residual smoke wafting from the burnt garage as they entered it.

Kaito put a mask on and offered both Saguru and Lapin one "Smoke is bad for the lungs" A cloth would have worked, but why would he offer one instead of a mask? He had masks because he didn't have the luxury of using his hand to hold one up to his face.

Everyone called and looked around, careful of touching anything since nobody wanted to get burnt. Fujisawa reached for the melted door of the car, pausing when Kaito held out a glove for him "What?" He was confused.

"Oh!" Lapin grinned "Touching heated metal can hurt! Good idea" The tiny sleuth saved Kaito the trouble of explaining things.

Saguru just shook his head "I'm not even surprised that he had a heat resistant glove on him" His friend carried many weird things on his person it seemed. He vaguely wondered what it'd look like if he ever went through an airport scanner. How much alarm would be raised if he ever did so?

Fujisawa gratefully accepted and put on the glove before opening the car door. The heat had warped the windows, preventing anyone from viewing the inside through the glass "Ahhh!" He fell back in fright, landing on his behind. Ayako's crispy and burnt beyond recognition body was inside.

"Ayako, Ayako!" Kento grabbed the body, calling her name. There was no doubt about the identity, Ayako was the only one missing.

"She made herself a target, and failed to stay alive" Kaito sighed, upset that they hadn't been able to prevent her death.

"She was alive not long ago" Hattori stated. That meant that her death had been planned to at least some extent.

"So whoever killed Mr.Kanaya, also killed her to keep her quiet..." Iwai stated, visibly upset.

"But when the explosion happened, we were all together in the room" Nanako added in.

Iwai turned to Maria "Who could have set fire to the room?"

"Someone must have done it" Maria replied, unsure.

"But how did someone set the car on fire without being there?" Ikuo mused, confused. His mouth dropped open as a sudden thought came to him "It's the owner! The owner made up this show and pretended to ave fallen off the cliff and died"

Maria's brows furrowed "That's true.... There could have been a dummy in the car"

"I've read a book like this before" Nanako added in.

"No, it's not that!" Hattori was quick to deny that trail of thought. Such an idea could lead to the real criminal getting away "It was really the owner who was in that car"

Lapin nodded in agreement "I saw him as well! There's no doubt at all" Very few people could make a dummy look so real. Sure Kaito could, but Kaito wasn't the killer.

Kento whirled around to face them, tears in the corners of his eyes "But then who's the murderer?!" He yelled, sounding anguished "Who killed Ayako?!" He started walking towards them but was held back by Ikuo "You two... Why are you guys so sure that the owner was in the car?!"

Trying to play peacekeeper, Ikuo smiled uneasily "Calm down, they're young. Also it was very dark, they could be wrong"

Both Lapin and Hattori looked very unimpressed. Kaito thought it was funny... Though he may just be trying to feel anything but sadness at the loss of life. Life was precious! "The murderer is crafty, setting this up" He sighed.

"We should go inside a part of the house that isn't toxic" Saguru stated "When daylight comes, we'll be able to see inside here better" The light switches obviously weren't working.

"Right! We'll be safer if we're together" Maria said, looking a bit scared.

Ikuo nodded "Yeah, we'll stay in the living room"

Saguru paused, looking at the other three detectives then followed the others to keep an eye on them. Lapin and Kaito could work with that Osakan detective.

"It's not that easy to mistake a person for a dummy" Hattori scoffed.

Lapin nodded in agreement "Yes, but all the suspects were together in the room" Which made things a bit difficult "It would be hard to set a timer to light a flare at a certain hour, but it's not impossible..."

"No, they couldn't do it" Hattori butted in "I was the last one in the garage and I didn't see a device like that"

Kaito glanced at Fujisawa who looked nervous.

Hattori continued "I saw the car with a hole in the fuel tank, all the fuel had spread on the floor, the battery was no good"

"How could the fuel be ignited?" Lapin mused.

Indigos narrowed as Kaito watched the interaction.

"We don't know, we'll have to keep looking" Hattori paused, eyeing Lapin as if he suddenly realized that he'd been talking with a tiny child.

Kaito quickly added in some input "We need to find out who lured her into the garage" Hmm... Should he make himself a bigger target to prevent another death? He was quite good at evading death so he'd probably be fine.

They headed to the living room, managing to get there just in time to avoid a sudden downpour.

"With this rain, we can't go outside" Maria sighed.

"We could" Kaito countered "We'd just get wet" He hummed "Maybe I could make a call" He was bluffing, the phone parts were unsalvageable. His stomach grumbled, making him blush. Staying up has made him hungry.

Iwai smiled "I could serve some coffee or cold drinks, there are some cookies too" They were still guests, even if the owner was no longer with them....

Saguru nodded in agreement "Food will help stimulate our brains" Even though he'd already decided to let the other three handle it. Lapin's skills on their own were great, adding in Kaito and Hattori was overkill.

Me: Why did they touch hot metal without protection in the original?! Ouch...

Comment? ^-^ 

Sleepy... and meds worn out... Editing? Meh, I never beta read anything