29. Books, Lapin Loves Books

1042 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written May 9 2022
Posted May 31 2022

NEXT UPDATE is June 14 2022

A couple of days filled with flashes of pain and lethargy passed with few incidents for Kaito. Starting Sooty's training and spending some extra time on a few of his chemistry projects had allowed him to keep his physical pain tucked away in the back of his head. It was exponentially more manageable when he didn't think about it, the brain was a weird thing.

Today, Lapin and himself were at the mall. Saguru had been with them up until a short while ago, being pulled away when he got a call about his caretaker Baaya spraining her hip while doing some laundry. He of course called a taxi and went back home to go check up on her. So now it was just the two of them. Sooty wasn't ready yet, nor certified as an emotional support animal or service animal.

"It's really busy today..." Lapin mused, there were more people here than there usually was. He himself had actually almost gotten stepped on if not for Kaito quickly whisking him away and settling him on his lap for a few moments until there was enough room for Lapin to be placed back onto the ground.

Kaito blinked "Of course it is" He eyed Lapin before realization hit him "Oh, you didn't read the flyers did you?"

Lapin shook his head "No, I've been too busy dodging other people's feet"

"There's a book signing event, many famous authors have come together to sign people's books" Kaito smiled "And before you get all worried, no troublesome people were on the list" While Kaito would have loved to get his Night Baron books signed, he knew that it would be better to avoid the sleuth's parents as a whole.

"I didn't bring any of my books!" Azure widened, disappointment flowing through the tiny sleuth. What if some of his favourite authors were here?

Kaito chuckled "I packed your books with mine, that's while I'm using my wheelchair's motor instead of wheeling myself" Books were heavy. It was a good thing his wheelchair was exceptionally sturdy despite him not being a large enough weight to require such special modifications.

Lapin's eyes gleamed "Thank you!" He was so happy, that he wasn't even bothered by the group of girls who giggled at him for being cute. Hopefully Kaito had chosen to bring the newest series that he'd gotten into before getting shrunk.

"I couldn't not bring them" Kaito laughed, indigos soft. It was good to see genuine excitement in the sleuth's eyes, especially when it didn't involve cases. He frowned, he really needed to bring Lapin to the station soon like he'd promised. Kaito noted that the crowds were starting to get increasingly thicker as they went "Hey..." He was hesitant, not wanting to offend Lapin "We're both short and easily looked over, want to sit on my lap to reduce the risk of an accident?"

The shrunken sleuth frowned a bit but eventually nodded "I guess, but only until we've gotten in one of the lines" He allowed Kaito to pick him up, deciding that it'd be less weird than him crawling into his lap.

"I honestly didn't think that it'd be this busy..." Kaito nervously laughed "It's good that I'm in my wheelchair, I'm pretty sure I'd have been knocked over if I was using my crutches" Sure there were a lot of famous authors, but there hadn't been anyone extremely famous listed.

"The wheelchair also allows us to bring more books" Lapin added.

"Why are you in a wheelchair if you don't need it?" The unexpected comment caught both of their attention.

Lapin's eyes narrowed "Kaito-niichan doesn't always need them, but sometimes crutches take too much energy" He informed the ignorant teen. The guy was dressed sort of like a delinquent with how sloppily he was wearing his school uniform.

The guy squints, eyeing Kaito "Oh, I've totally seen you before! You're plenty energetic!" There weren't many people who used crutches the same way Kaito did. Kaito's way of moving was unique.

Kaito bristled slightly, not liking the attention they were getting "Let's go Lapin" This guy had dumb jock vibes practically radiating off of him. It was better to ignore rather than attempt to use logic.

"Oi, don't ignore me you faker! Faking for sympathy is messed up!"

Lapin cringed, the guy was correct, but also very wrong since Kaito wasn't faking "Can this thing go any faster?" He complained, they were being followed.

"Not if you don't want me to abandon our books"

"... How many books did you even bring?" Lapin eyed the wheelchair's compartments "You can't fit that many books can you?" The motor had to be great with how nice the wheelchair was.

"I didn't make sure it was fully charged before leaving so I'm being cautious" Lapin wouldn't be able to push him if it ran out of energy "The heavier weight is probably draining the battery a bit more too"

"... This speed is fine" Lapin sighed, it wasn't like the guy could do anything to them.

"Young man, you shouldn't pester people about their disabilities" Lapin froze at the voice, dread chilling his veins. Kaito resting a hand on each shoulder snapped the sleuth out of his dread induced fear. Why was his father here?! Kaito wouldn't have risked bringing him if he knew that his father would be here. The jock leaving barely registered in Lapin's mind.

Kaito's eyes lit up, allowing his excitement to overtake his dread, at least on a visible scale "You're Kudo Yusaku! The author of Night Baron!" He was a true fan, so channeling the excitement was easy "You weren't listed to be here"

Lapin risked eyeing his father, the man didn't seem too different from the last time he'd seen him, but he seemed to be troubled by something "We brought the wrong books..." He pouted.

Yusaku smiled, both kids looked very familiar "It was a whim, I'm in town dealing with some stuff so I decided that I might as well come. It was announced yesterday" His son had disappeared, and then his house had been burnt down. The professor was a horrible liar so he knows about Conan. He studied the two boys, the smaller one looked like a messy haired Conan and the bigger one... Reminded him of someone, probably Shinichi. He looked too young despite sharing the same name.

Me: ^-^ Mystery mystery... Just what does Yusaku know?

Comment? ^-^

I dream a lot when I sleep, sometimes I wake up annoyed because if that fact •3•