Chapter 19

The pack house was eerily silent as Aldrich let himself in. He could hear distant cries coming from the floor where Andrew's room was, and his heart stung as he recognized them as his mate and her grandmother. Slowly, he began making his way up the stairs, part of him dreading what he was about to walk into. As he made it to the floor, he rushed his steps slightly as he saw Nicole's figure leaning against the wall. She had tears falling from her eyes, and barely seemed to be able to hold herself up.

  He made his way to her, immediately trying to pull her into a hug. She pulled back, a slight growl coming from her lips. Aldrich's eyes furrowed as he stepped back, confusion taking over his feeling of worry. "Nicole?"

"Don't." she growled, her face warping into anger.

"I..what have I done now?" Aldrich asked, his voice lowered slightly as to not offend her more.

"Why didn't you tell me? About the dream? My dads dying wish?'

Aldrich swallowed hard she confronted him. "Andrew-"

"Alpha Danielson." Nicole interrupted.

Aldrich took a deep breath, letting it out slowly before speaking. "Alpha Danielson asked me not to tell you. That's why I didn't."

Nicole wasn't satisfied with his answer. "So just because my dad tells you to keep something from me, you do it?"

"Nicole, I just did what I thought was right-"

"Just... stop. We'll have this talk at my house. I'm not dealing with this here. I have enough on my plate as is." The fire seemed to dim from the female as she finished speaking, her body leaning back against the wall as her tears slowly started to fall again.

Aldrich was flabbergasted, to say the least. He glanced at Nicole's grandparents, both of whom had turned away at the altercation between the two. "How is he?" He asked quietly.

"He.. passed a few minutes before you arrived." came a voice down the hall. Aldrich recognized it as Lance, who was walking towards them, James not far behind.

They both wore solemn looks on their faces, bowing there heads in respect as they saw their alpha and her mate.

"Aldrich, how is she?" Lance asked, hearing most of the altercation on his way up.

"She's...holding up." Aldrich answered, not saying much else.

Lance nodded as James presented an IPad. "The arrangements have already somewhat been taken care of. We just need Nicole to confirm them."

Aldrich opened his mouth to speak, but was caught off by Nicole who had picked her head up from the wall. "Leave it in my office. I'll be there soon."

James furrowed his eye brows in concern. "Alpha, if you need some time, the pack will-"

"I said, leave them in my office. I'll handle it soon." she replied, a little more force behind her words.

Lance and James both stiffened slightly, both nodding as they turned to leave.

"And James, I'm your alpha. You can ask me next time."

James stopped, nodding his head. "Yes Alpha."

Lance nudged him in the arm, mumbling, 'Come on.' as they began leaving the floor once again. Aldrich turned to look at Nicole, his wolf stirring inside him, anxiety beginning to form. He hadn't heard her speak to anyone in her pack like that, especially her Beta or Gamma.

Without another word, Nicole turned and grabbed her keys, then made her way over to the stairs to leave. Aldrich watched her leave, his worry increasing at her behavior.