Chapter 35

A few weeks had passed since the incident with the Martinez's. Nicole was beginning to show, her belly swelling up almost over night. The pregnancy was progressing faster than usual, which confused Maribel and Etoile, who Nicole had chose as her midwives. She was only a couple months pregnant, but the baby was growing so fast, she was already halfway through her second trimester. Nicollet had cried when Nicole and Aldrich told her they were expecting. She had missed so much of her daughters life, but she was back, and she intended to make up for the lost time. Her and Drew had returned to Silent Ash to help rebuild, and it was going well. Aldrich had begged Nicole to stay in Nightshade due to the pregnancy, and her mom had insisted on her staying. Reluctantly, she did, but James had been keeping in touch to let her know how it was going.

Her and Aldrich were laying in bed, Aldrich running his hands over her swollen belly. The baby was active, kicking and nudging his hand every couple seconds. He would smile and glance at Nicole excitedly as he felt the kicks under his large hand. She rolled her eyes, a smile on her face also.

"What will we name her?" Aldrich asked, kissing her belly as the baby kicked once more.

Nicole furrowed her eyebrows. "Her?"

Aldrich smiled sheepishly. "Surprise. Etoile had a vision of a baby girl."

Nicole smiled, filling with joy at the thought of having a little girl. "I'm not sure. I haven't even thought of names."

Aldrich gently laid his head on her stomach, kissing it once again. "Hey, Little Bit. I'm sorry we don't have a name yet, Darling."

Nicole laughed as the baby kicked in response to Aldrich's voice. "We'll come up with one, I promise Baby." she said, running her hand through Aldrich's dark hair.

He continued to lay with his head pressed against her belly, moving so he wasn't pushing down on her, listening to the fast, little heart beats belonging to his daughter. He hadn't ever been more happy than he was in that moment, just listening to the beautiful sound of her heartbeat. He closed his eyes, the beats along with Nicole's hand running through his hair lulling him to sleep. He drifted off, dreaming of a beautiful little girl, with dark hair like him, and blue eyes like her mother.

Everleigh Diane... Everleigh Diane... Aldrich could hear the name being spoken to him, over and over. The whole time he heard the voice speaking the name, he could see his little girl looking back at him. He suddenly awoke, sitting up gently as to not disturb Nicole, who was still laid beside him. When he looked out in the room, his breath caught. A woman stood at the end of the bed, a white glow seeming to radiate from her. She was slim, and petite, probably standing no more than 5'5. She had long, curly, dark hair, and a crescent moon crown sat on her head. Her expression was soft, but her features were sharp. The white glow bounced off her olive skin, showing just how beautiful it was. Aldrich sat up straighter, pulling the cover over him a little to cover himself from the woman.

"Aldrich Branson, you've done well." said the woman, her voice coming out angelic.

Aldrich's eyebrows narrowed at her. "Goddess Selene?" he asked, his voice a whisper.

She slowly nodded, a kind smile on her face. "I told your mate you would be seeing me again."

Aldrich nodded. "But why?"

Selene walked closer to Nicole, resting her hand on her stomach. "The child your mate carries in her womb is a gift. She is special, and will play a vital role in the future of your people. Protect her, love her, and raise her as a strong she-wolf."

"I will. We both will."

Selene smiled once more. "I know. That's why I gifted the two of you with her."

Aldrich watched as Selene moved her hand from Nicole's stomach. He wondered if Selene had something to do with her not waking up? Nicole wasn't that heavy of a sleeper, so he figured the conversation was meant just for him. "Why did you come to me? Why not Nicole?"

Selene walked to stand back in her original spot at the top of the bed. "Because your mate has more faith in things she cannot see than you. You prayed to me a couple weeks ago, but the only reason for doing so was due to your mate being taken. I need you to know I'm real, that I'm here." She glanced at Nicole's stomach once more. "The child needs to be raised to follow me. I can't have one parent believe in me wholeheartedly while the other still has doubts."

Aldrich looked down sheepishly. "I'm sorry. I never was a religious man."

Selene cracked a laugh. "You are now, Aldrich. Don't ever forget this night."

"I promise, I won't."

Selene smiled, nodding her head once more. "I know you won't. Now, get some rest." she said quietly.

Aldrich felt his eyes growing heavy, and as he fought to keep them open, he saw Selene slowly dissipating into a white light. He soon fell back asleep, her words repeating in his head.

The next morning Nicole awoke first, feeling a ever growing pain in her back, and the need to pee hitting her full force. She climbed out of the bed as quick as she could, hurrying to the bathroom. Aldrich stirred when she jumped up, and sat up in the bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "You okay, Nic?"

"Yeah." she called from the bathroom. "Just had to pee really bad."

Aldrich chuckled, shaking his head and standing up from the bed. He walked to his dresser, which he know shared with Nicole, and pulled out a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. Sliding them all on, he walked and stood in the doorway of the bathroom, leaning up against the side of the door. "Are you feeling okay?"

Nicole sighed, running a hand down her face. "I feel terrible. My stomach hurts, my back is beginning to hurt, I have to pee every five minutes." She paused a moment, looking at him. "Im over this."

Aldrich smiled, walking over to her and running his hands through her long hair. "It'll be over soon, and it'll all be worth it."

"I know." Nicole said with a smile, tilting her head back in bliss as he rubbed her head. "Have you given any thoughts to a name?"

Aldrich stopped, turning serious. "I haven't really thought about it. I know what we should name her though."

Nicole's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Aldrich took a breath and sat on the bathroom counter, bracing himself against his arms. "Selene came to me last night, like, in the flesh."

He watched as Nicole's eyes widened. "She told me to name her Everleigh Diane, and to make sure she was raised in the ways of her."

Nicole swallowed hard. "Why? Did she say why?"

"She said she was a gift and would play a role in the future of our people. She wants her to be raised knowing her and following her. I don't know much else. That's all she said."

Nicole looked down, focusing on her hands as she thought. Her daughter was special to Selene? But why? "Well, I guess we can't refuse the goddess. She wants her name to be Everleigh Diane, so I guess that's it."

Aldrich smiled and nodded. "Our little Everleigh."

Nicole felt tears brimming her eyes. "Yeah, our little Everleigh."