Chapter 6 Life Changing Decision

Anu is kind of a person who never wants to be a debtor to someone, and she will return the favor at any cost. When she was thinking to repay Sarada's kindness, her sudden request bewildered her. She never dreamt about her marriage in her lifetime. All her focus was on her studies, which she discontinued due to her circumstances. Presently, her motto is to save her Dad, look after her family, good education for her brother, and then her studies, which she is longing for. But she never imagined that Sarada would ask such a favor. Anu felt embarrassed for a moment and then quickly regained her poise.

"Sorry Mam, I can't understand." - she gave a confused look.

"Dev does not have a father, darling. He took the family responsibility at a young age, like you. He was normal before, but the sequence of events that happened in our family turned him into a cold-hearted man. He is a sweet person at heart, but he has lost his nature as a result of his rage over the betrayal we experienced. He thinks that money is of prime importance and failed to live his life. All he wants now is a person who can love him unconditionally, and you are the one who came to my mind. Please, don't think that I am asking you this to return my favor. I like you, dear, and I dream of my Dev's life with you. I was moved by your love for your family members, and I wish that my son should have the same kind of love. I am not saying that he will accept you immediately, but your patience and personality will change him.

You don't think that I am forcing you, if you don't wish, let it be. But still, I will help you by every means. You don't have to answer me immediately; you think and give me an answer next week. If you agree, I can talk with your parents. You don't have to worry about your family. I can arrange whatever they need for their lifetime, and you can continue your studies if you wish." - Sarada explained word by word.

Anu felt befuddled for a moment. It is like a jackpot knocking on her door, but it will be a loveless marriage. Even the think of his name frightened her, and how can she live under the same roof with him. Her mind cannot think straight, so she requested some time to tell her decision. Sarada happily accepted her decision, and she was happy that Anu didn't refuse the proposal on the spot. She started praying to all the gods in the world for her positive answer.
Anu's father Mohan got discharged, and they returned home. Her mother Seetha excused herself and went somewhere. Anu was suspicious about that and followed her. Her heart ached when she saw her mother at a pawnshop who was pawning her favorite earrings. She rushed to their house without indicating her presence. Then only it came to her mind that her brother Arjun asked for some book fees, which are due tomorrow.
As Anu was already struggling too much, Seetha decided not to trouble her for little things. She already sold many of her jewels. Though Anu behaves like not noticing this, she is aware of her secret doings.
My family should not suffer, and my brother Arjun deserves a good education, she thought. When it is getting even difficult to put bread on the table, how can they afford these things? These thoughts made her think about Sarada's proposition.
"I can do anything for my family; why not this marriage; I hope Sarada madam will help me to protect my dignity." - she debated to herself.
Anu felt indebted towards Sarada. Though she refused to consider it as payback, she felt guilty for not accepting her proposal. So, she decided to marry Dev. She tried to sleep with some confusing emotions.
The next day, Anu informed Sarada about her decision and asked her to take it forward. Sarada was in the seventh heaven, and she could not control her excitement. Without wasting time, she visited Anu's parents. Sarada entered the house with lots of fruits and other nutritional supplements.

"We appreciate your visit, but do you need to purchase all of these items?" - Mohan said worriedly.
"It's nothing; it's my first visit to your home, and I don't want to look out like a miser." - She smiled.
Anu's father, Mohan thought that she is paying a courtesy visit. When Sarada inquired about his health, Mohan grinned.
"Thanks to you, I am doing well recently."

The treatment he received from the hospital was the best of its kind. It must have cost a fortune, but he was given a cashless treatment because of Sarada's words.

When they were talking about random things, Sarada cleared her throat and started,
"As you know, I love your daughter very much. She is the most beautiful, intelligent, and loving girl a man could dream for. Within few days, I started liking her. When I started searching for a suitable bride for my son, she was the only girl who came to my mind. I'd like to ask her for her hand in marriage for my son, and I'm here today to ask your consent."

Both Mohan and Seetha were shocked and confused at the same time. The look of confusion on their faces said it all. To ease the situation, Sarada further added,
"You might believe I made this decision on the spur of the moment, but I can't imagine my daughter-in-law being anybody else." - she gave an assurance smile.
Composing himself, Mohan explained-
"Madam, you are from a well-to-do family, but ours is a struggling one. No ladder can reach your status, and I am afraid whether it is even possible, and will your son agree for this marriage." - he stammered.
Though Mohan and Seetha have more respect for Sarada, they heard about Dev's arrogant attitude through Anu and what if he ill-treated her after marriage, and this thought worried them.
You don't have to be worried; she's like my daughter, and we'll cherish her. Regarding my son, my choice is his choice." - she declared.
But still, they were confused, and to be particular, they were scared to give their daughter to a wealthy family like hers. Sensing their anxiety, she further added-
"I can make a promise for her happiness with my son, and please don't assume I helped you for a bride's price. I would have helped any of our employees when they are in need. That is different, and this is different. You don't have to worry about anything; just, give her a hand, and I will look after everything."
Sarada became a greedy mother here. Despite the fact that she was well aware of Dev's reckless behavior, she still promised her happiness. But she trusted her instinct that one day Dev would change for her.
When Mohan looked at his wife, he knew what she was thinking about. He thought for a while and opened his mouth.
"Madam, can you give us few minutes; I want to discuss with my wife and daughter" - saying that he rushed Seetha and Anu inside a room.
"What is this Anu, you know about this already?" - Mohan asked in a perplexed tone.
"Yes, Dad, she talked with me when she paid a visit to the hospital, and I thought that this would take away all our miseries." - Anu said with a weak smile.
Mohan felt bad since Anu would not have been in such an embarrassing situation if it hadn't been for him." - he thought.
"Anu dear, you don't have to do this. Sarada Madam is a wise woman; she can understand when we explain. I know we cannot repay her help, but we will find some ways, and don't sacrifice your life on this matter."
Seetha also had the same thought. But Anu stubbornly refused their idea.
"Dad, Mom, she is very kind, she even agreed to take care of everything, and regarding his son, he is not as rude as you think. He is good by nature, just a little strict towards his employees, but I am going to be his wife, he will adore me." - she lied.

Her parents thought for a while and mulled it over, and they realized that they cannot find a family as good as Sarada's in the future. Also, she promised her happiness.

Because of her responsibilities, it is only a doubt whether Anu's marriage would happen shortly. It will take time for Mohan to join back in a work. Even so, his earning won't be sufficient to run their family. In this situation, how can he promise a bright future for Anu and his son Arjun? This is like skating on thin ice for Anu, but they believed in her positive approach. She would make lemonade even if life only gave her lemons; she is of such a persona. With no room for rejection, they agreed to the proposal.

Sarada was very much pleased with their response. She didn't let them think much longer and got down to business planning the wedding. After the discussion, she left their home happily. Even when Mohan called her Madam, she asked him to address her as "Samandhi".
Samandhi: A Tamil word meaning co-parents-in-law. In Tamil, the parents whose children marry each other will call each other"Samandhi."