Chapter 19 Acting Director

Mugil and Riya planned to welcome Anu officially in her new position. They reached their office early that day and went to Anu's office with a bouquet. Anu, who had no idea what was going on, arrived at the office on her scooter. She was confused to see the employees of the company assembled like welcoming someone. When Anu entered the reception, Mugil and Riya with the bouquet stopped her. She was more than surprised to see them in her office. Her jaws dropped after hearing Riya's words.

"Please Welcome our new Acting Director, Mrs. Anuradha Satyadev, give her a warm applause." - she said.

Anu cannot process anything happening around her. She eyed Riya and Mugil for an explanation. After some formal greetings, Riya guided Anu to her new room. She somewhat guessed what would have happened. Mugil, who is aware of Anu's mindset, remained quiet.

"What is this Mugil?" - Anu questioned him.

"It was all the idea of your husband. Don't look at me like that?" - he pleaded.

"You too, Riya?" - Anu questioned Riya for an explanation. But how can they explain that it all happened overnight?

Anu was annoyed was an understatement. Who could believe her as the company's acting director when she started working there just a day before. Her mind went back to the questioning look of the employees who eyed her when she arrived. Now everything makes her sense. When she was standing confused like this, the manager entered the room. He was the one who interviewed her. She felt embarrassed to speak with him. But he addressed her professionally,

"Welcome, Madam." - he greeted.

"Thank you, but I will not be coming tomorrow. In this role, my husband will appoint someone." - she said politely.

Riya and Mugil, who stood beside her, were taken aback when they heard this. The manager exited the room politely after understanding the situation.

"I'm sorry, Mugil, but I'm not up to it." Tell your friend to quit doing these stunts," she grumbled.

All her dream about her career crushed in no time. She never imagined that Dev would interfere in her job. She thought of learning from scratch, but Dev's intervention irritated her.

"She reasoned to herself, "If he didn't like the idea of working in a firm, he would have discussed it with me."

Mugil has no words to console her. He already advised Dev on this, but he was stubborn about his decision. Just before everything seems to be okay but, their relation again went to square one. Anu was determined about her decision. She was out of the building by noon. Her parents were taken aback. She gave some lame excuses about the company which she praised yesterday. Riya tried to pursue Anu to stay back. But she decided to stay home for a while, which left Dev in the middle. He planned to move closely with Anu when she is managing the company. He also wanted her to be in a high position. He felt all his hope crumble under his feet when Anu decided to stay home.

"I would have listened to Mugil." - he thought to himself.

"At least now onwards, please listen to me." - Mugil comforted Dev, who was pacing restlessly in his room. Mugil advised him to put the matter aside for a few days to allow Anu's rage to fade. Dev, on the other hand, who is always thinking about his next move, headed to Anu's house. He parked the car at a distance and was thinking about his next move. Suddenly his train of thoughts was disturbed by Mohan's voice.

"Thambi, when you returned from abroad, please come inside." - Mohan said.

Dev was shocked for a while, but he decided to utilize the situation.

"Just now, Mama, how is your health." - he inquired like an obedient Son-in-law.

[ A/N ] - Thambi- Tamil word for brother. Instead of addressing as Son-in-law, some elders prefer to address as "Thambi".

Mama- Tamil word for Uncle.

Anu, who was watching TV, was taken aback when she saw Dev and her father enter. When both of them were staring at each other, Mohan cleared his throat and said.

"Look, Anu, Thambi returned, bring something for him to drink?" - he ordered.

Anu, who mentally despised him, walked to the kitchen and brought a cup of coffee for him. After hearing Mohan's next statement, she was about to drop the cup.

"You came to pick Anu, isn't it? Hope you returned directly from the Airport." - Mohan asked innocently.

Dev took the situation in his favour and answered

"Exactly, Uncle, without Anu, the home won't be a home."

With a big smile, Mohan expressed his happiness. Anu, who is staring at both of them, is unsure what to do.

"Think, Anu, think, tell something." - she was talking to herself.

"Yes, Dad, I am also willing to go, but Arjun needs my help with his studies, I will stay some more days here and leave." - she lied.

Dev didn't expect this, and he was not in a mood to leave Anu here.

"We can take Arjun with us for few days; he can attend the school from there." - he said with a grin.

Now it was Anu's turn to get shocked. She was taken aback by Dev's offer to join them, as Dev didn't even know her brother's name until yesterday. Arjun, who had just entered the house, was astounded when he saw Dev there.

"Hello, Uncle." - he greeted.

"Come here, Arjun." - saying that Dev gave him a tight hug.

Arjun who never talked with Dev felt it odd, but he returned his hug and greeted him. Anu stood still without knowing how to respond. Like getting some sudden idea she gestured Arjun to come inside her room. She rushed him inside and whispered in his ears.

"Please don't agree to their plans, Arjun; Dev is suggesting that we take you home with us; tell them you have some work here. It won't be fun there, okay." - It was almost as if she was pleading.

Arjun, who was already skeptical of Anu's relationship with Dev, refused to listen to her.

"This is a perfect opportunity to punish Reena; let's see how she's causing Anu problems." - Arjun pondered thoughtfully.