Chapter 7 The Marriage Day

Sarada informed about her decision about the bride with Dev. He had shown zero interest in her speech and had paid no attention to her. He not even asked for her picture, and the only thing that went inside his ears was the girl's name.

Everything went in a jiffy, as Dev insisted Sarada arranged the marriage in the Marriage registration office. Dev arrived at the venue twenty minutes before the appointment. Sarada was anxious and prayed to the almighty for the wedding to take place without any problem. She didn't tell Dev who Anu was or that she was the employee he fired. Sarada very well knew about Dev's attitude towards people who are inferior to him. She kept it hidden in the hope that Dev would not cause an issue on the wedding day.

Anu and her family arrived at the destination by the car sent by Sarada. She dressed in a beautiful red Kanchipuram saree with a zari border and glistening diamond jewels. Despite little or no makeup, she looked knockout gorgeous.

Her look was simple yet elegant. Though Sarada insisted on buying the entire showroom, Anu selected a simple saree.

[ A/N ] There are different styles of Indian wedding dresses, and it varies from one state to another. Indian wedding dress is rich in intricate embroidery, exquisite designs, and embellishments. Our Anu is from Chennai city in Tamilnadu state, where the brides wear silk saree with zari border. Kanchipuram silk sarees are woven from pure mulberry silk.

Anu's glistening skin which resembled the color of cream, almost that of milk, infused with a hint of cocoa, strikingly balancing the redness of her sari, was enough to give heartaches to any of the passersby, as it surely caused Dev's heart to skip a few beats.

"But why her fragile figure calls to mind someone." - he thought to himself. Then he connected the dots, her name and appearance, and a flash of rage flashed across his face. All this time Dev was staring at Anu, and when she looked into his eyes, all she saw was only disgust.

The elders became preoccupied with the ritual to be followed after meeting each other, leaving Anu alone in a corner. She didn't invite any of her friends, and she opted to keep her marriage a secret for the time being. Riya is her only friend with whom she can share her matters, but this time she avoided her too, as she is an employee in Dev's company.

Dev went to Anu and lifted her chin.

"What spell did you cast on my mother? You took this marriage tool since you don't have a job. I can't believe you've stooped to this level. I bet you are a gold-digger. But it's fine for me since you won't be bothering me; after all, all you want is money, right?" - he spitted venom in his words.

Anu felt like crying, but she fought back her tears and tried to look normal. Her expressions on her face were completely emotionless; it is neither happy nor sad.

Dev had been chased by several rich girls, but it was only Anu who managed to persuade his mother. He firmly believed that Anu had a reason to agree to this marriage, but his mother's decision confused him.

"How can his mother be so naive to select a manipulating girl as his wife" - he thought to himself. But his conceit caused him to ignore this girl; this marriage is merely to persuade his mother, and he has no personal interest in her.

In comparison to big fat Indian weddings, theirs was a simple ceremony with only a few witnesses. Dev tied the thali with three knots on her neck. Sarada insisted Dev put sindoor on Anu's forehead, which he did like an obedient son.

Thali - The thali is regarded as an auspicious amulet and is an Indian wedding chain. During the wedding ceremony, the priest recites mantras (chants) when the groom ties the thali around the bride's neck, securing it with three knots. This act signifies the groom and the bride are united and have the responsibility of taking care of each other. Married women are supposed to wear this thali for the rest of their lives, as it is believed to enhance the well-being of their husbands and families.

Sindoor - It is a traditional vermilion red cosmetic powder, usually worn by married women along the part of their hair. In Hindu communities, the use of sindoor indicates a woman is married and ceasing to wear it usually implies widowhood.

Unlike the usual Hindu marriage ceremony, where the bride and groom are next seated in front of the holy fire, as a priest recites various mantras from the Holy Scriptures their marriage was so short with no rituals like walk around the fire or seven vows. After the wedding, Sarada insisted the newlywed couple seek the blessings of the elders by touching their feet. Both Dev and Anu touched Sarada's feet, and when their turn came to get blessings from Anu's parents, Dev being Dev, stood still, and Anu only touched their feet.

Usually, in Hindu families, the bride's family prepares an elaborate meal for the groom's party and for them to take back home. A relative accompanies the bride to her marital home and returns with gifts from the groom's family. But, considering Dev's reaction, Sarada skipped the procedure. She directly took Anu home after the marriage. She welcomed the couple by performing aarti as they stand at the doorstep.

Aarti: A plate with red water made with lime and turmeric with lighted camphor in the center is waved circularly, in a clockwise and anti-clockwise manner around the couple to ward off the evils.

As this is an arranged marriage and Dev is also least interested, Sarada didn't force the couple on post-wedding rituals, but she insisted on sleeping in the same room. Though Anu married Dev in desperate straits, she decided to love him unconditionally and to remain loyal to him through thick and thin.