Prologue

March 12th 2016 Maddie's Apartment (Maddie's POV)-

"Liv! Did you get the groceries?!" I called from my room.

"No, I got stopped on the way to the store. I'm gonna grab them later." My roommate called back.

I sat back on the couch as my mind flooded with memories. I left home and moved out here almost two years ago. College was great but missed my family, and Chase. Mainly Chase. It became harder and harder to spend time together. With his schedule and my classes on top of the time difference we would miss each other more than see each other.

I did get to go see them a little while ago but with their missions they'd have to leave every time.

Since I started early and took a few summer classes I was already almost done with my senior year.

March 16th Bionic Island (Chase's POV)-

"Hey baby." Maddie said as she finally answered my call.

"Where were you? It's already seven." Did she not care about today?

"I had homework Chase. I'm sorry I answered a bit late." She explained dryly.

"Maddie, do you know what today is?" I asked in spite.

"It's March sixteenth... Oh my gosh Chase I'm so sorry! I can't believe I forgot our anniversary." She said.

"Yeah it's not the only thing you've forgotten." I huffed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked, offended.

"Maddie you've missed eighteen video chats and you've been missing my calls in general." I explained.

"Well I'm sorry that I get busy. You know my classes are a lot of work. I'm sorry if it bothers you but things come up Chase. We can't all be perfect like you." She fought.

"I'm not saying you need to be perfect but you could put in some effort." I pushed.

"I am Chase and I'm sorry if I mess up. You could've come with me if the distance bothered you that much." Was she being serious right now?

"You're the one who wanted to leave!" I yelled in a fit of anger.

"I would've stayed if you asked! You never did!" She screamed back.

"I shouldn't have to ask! We're in love Maddie and you left!" If I wasn't so angry I probably would've stopped by now.

"Fine! If I'm so good at leaving I guess I'll just do that! We're done Chase!" She slammed her laptop shut and the video chat disconnected.

The shock was still stuck on my face as the tears started rolling down my cheeks. All I could hear were her words repeating like a broken record. We're done. We're done. We're done.

"Chase? What's wrong?" Bree asked when she found me.

"Maddie just broke up with me." I said in disbelief. I fell to my knees without knowing what to do.

May 24th 2017 Mocha Pot Café (Maddie's POV)-

"Hey, is this seat taken?" I looked up to see a tall guy with dirty blond hair. He had his textbooks with him. "Every other table is full."

I looked around to see that he was telling the truth. I honestly didn't really want the company But I felt bad turning him away so I just nodded and tried to focus on my work. I pulled my hood down trying to cover more of my messiness. I had been a wreck for the past year. Oliva told me to start going out to study just so I wouldn't be stuck at home all the time. Even though I was the one who ended things it tore me apart.