Chapter 12: The intruder

Bree, Skylar, and I were eating lunch out on the terrace. Kaz was messing with the rake on the floor as Chase came out to join us. He passed me a glass of water as he sat down beside me. "Kaz, buddy, there's plenty of room over here. You don't have to eat on the floor."

"I'm not eating on the floor. I'm preparing my food on the floor." Kaz explained before showing us the rake that had five hot dogs skewered onto it. I choked on my water and Chase rubbed my back. Kaz continued to look at his contraption with pride.

"Ooh, my favorite, hot dogs on a rake!" Oliver said as Liv and him joined us on the terrace.

"Yeah, no. This is it, you've ruined hotdogs for me forever. So thanks." Liv said with disgust as she walked past the two and joined the rest of us.

"Wow, you actually made tubes of random animal parts even more disgusting." Bree added in disbelief.

"Hey, they only look gross because I haven't grilled them yet." Kaz handed the rake off to Oliver who spun the rake and Kaz used his fire to roast the hotdogs as they spun. "Who's disgusting now? Oh. Oh. Wet leaf." He said spitting the leaf out as he ate the hotdog.

"Yeah, You do know I just used that rake to clean the gutters. Right?" Skylar asked.

"Mmm, you can taste yesterday's rain." Oliver added as he chewed on the gutter dogs.

"You guys are ridiculous. Your powers are a gift." I said as I got up I grabbed my plate, before giving Kaz and Oliver a glare. "You shouldn't be wasting them on trivial things."

"Yeah, you guys are always using your powers when you don't have to. Yesterday Oliver flew across the street just to go to the grocery store." Bree added standing up beside me.

"That was an emergency. We were out of Loopy Loops. And you know what, for your information, girls are just as bad. When Mr. Davenport called, you used your vocal manipulation to pretend to be me." Kaz accused her and I gave her a look. She didn't deny it.

"Really?" I groaned, I expected more from her.

"OK, calm down, all I said was..." She started before changing her voice into Kaz's. "Bree's not here. Stop calling, old man."

"Oh, so you made me look bad?" Kaz said, trying to look tough but Bree nodded. Knowing this is gonna end somewhere stupid I walked back inside to put my plate away.

"Yeah, pretty much." She agreed. "And yes, I occasionally use bionics to make my life easier. But I can stop whenever I want; you guys are the ones that have no control."

"Oh really? Well, then," Kaz smirked, "I propose a challenge, guys versus girls, to see who can go the longest using bionic abilities or superpowers."

"Last man or woman standing wins." Bree decided, standing up. Kaz held his hand out in the middle of the table, and Bree put hers on top to signify that she was taking part. "You're on."

"I'm in." Chase said, adding his hand to the pile. Honestly I didn't care as long as we could still work on wedding planning.

The group looked at Liv next, "Yeah, sounds fun." She went to put her hand in but Chase stopped her.

"Hold on, your ability isn't something you would even use in your everyday life. It would be almost impossible to beat you." He reasoned making a fair point as I walked back out to the terrace.

"Yeah, he's right you don't use your powers enough as is." Oliver fought, still eating Kaz's rake sausages.

"You're just saying that because you know you're gonna lose." Bree said but Liv shrugged and pulled her hand away.