Chapter 14: Home sweet home Pt.1

My head was throbbing. There was a faint beeping sound beside me and before I could come up with another thought my nausea bubbled up. I shot up from the bed and puked all over the floor. I was brought a bucket and the person who gave it to me rubbed my back as I continued to retch up my organs. Once I finished I let the person take the bucket as I crashed in the bed again.

"How are you feeling?" Chase asked as he rubbed my back. In lew of an answer I gave him a low groan. Everything hurt and I still felt a bit nauseous. "We were really worried about you."

I turned over to face Chase, I could see the exhaustion on his face as he sat beside me. "How long have you been here with me?" My voice was broken and scratchy as I spoke.

"About a week. Bree made me take a break after the first three days and Douglas helped me move the capsule frame down here so I wouldn't glitch." I held onto his hand tightly as he spoke.

"What happened after..." I looked at my free hand to find the infinity symbol burned into my palm.

"Well the radiation from the arcturion would've killed you so we had to take a more experimental route to save you." Chase explained, he trailed off at the end though.

"What did you guys do?" I sat up a bit feeling my nerves.

"We decided that the best option would be to give you bionics." Chase said quickly and my eyes widened in shock. "Your chip is absorbing and preventing radiation poisoning. As long as you have that chip you should be fine."

"This is a lot to take in." I huffed. "So the arcturion almost killed me but you guys gave me bionics to stop it."

"Yeah. What were you doing with it in the first place?" Chase asked as he rubbed small circles on the back of my hand.

"I don't know. I found it in the cabinet. I thought if I touched it, I'd get my powers back." I explained sheepishly not really wanting to admit it.

"Even if you needed powers, which you don't, you shouldn't risk your life to get them." Chase said, placing a kiss on my hand.

"Yeah, but when I saw my name near the bottom of AJ's list, I realized other people think I'm unimportant too." I sighed and took a breath before looking back at Chase. "Look, I know that touching the rock was selfish, but... I just wanted to feel special again."

"I get it, but it's just too risky. I'll take the Arcturion back to Facility Y. I'll get Skylar to take it back, when you're feeling up to it you can join us upstairs." He grabbed the arcturion and kissed my forehead quickly before leaving mission command.

. . .

After a while I felt strong enough to get up and move around Mission Command but I didn't want to head upstairs yet. I leaned against the desk as the hyper lift doors opened. Skylar came in and looked like she was full of guilt.

"Hey, Chase is looking for you." The girl gave me a quick nod as she collected herself. "Is everything okay?"

The alien girl stepped forward and faced me. "I'm just really, really sorry about blasting you. I wanted to know if you were okay."

"I'm going to get better." I said with a small smile, she nodded slightly. "It's not your fault. I shouldn't have tried to touch it in the first place." I looked down at my bandaged hand.

"So we're good?" Skylar asked warily.

"Of course we are." I said to her welcoming the girl into a hug.

She pushed me away quickly, "Ow! Ow! Ow!"

I was concerned for a second, she turned inspecting the bark of her shirt. "Whoa, whoa, what just happened?"