Chapter 9: Psychosis

The second the door opened I ran.

"Oh my gosh Maddie! You're back!" Skylar ran over being the first to notice me. I tried getting past her but the team surrounded me.

"Maddie, how are you here? Are you okay?" Bree asked in disbelief. The team tried pulling me towards the couch to sit down but I fought.

"Guys I'm fine I just want to go to bed." I groaned and I could tell there was a mix of shock and disappointment.

"That's fine. Take all the time you need, Madds." Liv said before the rest of the team could argue. I winced a bit at the nickname remembering the events that occurred before I left.

I gave them a nod before heading upstairs to my room. As I laid beneath my covers I could help remember the broken look on Chase's face. I guess I really lost him this time.

. . .

I was woken from my deep sleep as the windows in my room allowed the light to hit my face.

"Tessa! Why are you so mean to me?" I groaned into the pillow trying to stay in bed for as long as possible.

"Boss, you asked me to wake you up. You have a meeting, it's not my fault you forgot."

I rolled away from my pillow and looked up at the ceiling skeptically. "When did you get so sassy?"

"Since you programmed me to be." She said without missing a beat.

"Hmm. Okay then." I tossed my covers aside as I sat up in bed. "Why am I supposed to be up anyways?"

"You have a meeting today with your board of directors." She answered and with that I started getting ready. As much as I hated it I had been missing for at least a week and I would have to deal with those problems now. I left the penthouse without being stopped and drove to work.

I made my way up towards my office passing security. People's heads turned as I walked by stopping to take a second look. As much as I hated the eyes on me it came with the job.

As I passed reception Katie jumped up to greet me. "Ms. Tompkins! It's great to see you back."

"It's nice to be back Katie." I said, giving her a polite smile as I waited for my elevator.

"Uh I thought you'd like some coffee so I got your usual for you." The girl said nervously before passing me a warm carry out cup of coffee.

"Wow. That was very kind Katie thank you." The doors opened and this time I gave her a genuine smile before stepping into my elevator. The coffee was amazing and put me in a slightly better mood as I thought about what I was about to face.

Although when the doors opened it was not meet with the group of petty adults I expected.

"You know I picked you for a reason right?" He said as he leaned against my desk with his arms crossed against his chest.

"Yeah, I know." I sighed as I walked in collapsing in the chair in front of him.

"I know what happened."

"Everything?"

"Yeah, Bree told me." He said. I suddenly found the coffee cup in my hands much more interesting as I curled in on myself.

"Please tell me you're not here to fire me?" I asked, letting my walls fall a bit. My voice broke as I spoke.

"Maddie, I'm not here to fire you. I care about you too, I just wanted to see how you're doing." Davenport said as he kneeled down in front of me to be face to face with me.