Chapter 13: The rock

"I LOVE that movie! I've seen it five times." AJ beamed as we all walked into the Penthouse. We'd just gone out to see that new Zompires movie, and AJ had begged us to let him come with. "Oh, I hope I didn't ruin the ending for you guys."

"No." Kaz's voice was full of sarcasm. "You already ruined the beginning and the middle, so I didn't really care about the end."

"It's like having Leo around again." Bree murmured to Maddie. The genius smirked.

"He does have the habit of spoiling the ending." She agreed.

"So, uh, what do you guys wanna do now?" AJ questioned, plopping himself down on our couch. Kaz, Liv, Oliver, Bree, and I all exchanged glances.

"Actually, why don't you stay right here while we go have a quick little team meeting out on the terrace, okay?" Liv suggested, patting the kid on the shoulder.

"Okay." AJ nodded and grabbed a book off the table. We all headed onto the veranda, but once the door closed behind us, we all turned on Chase and Maddie.

"What's going on?" Maddie commented, noticing the looks we were giving them.

"Look, I know you guys told AJ he could hang with us, but this is getting ridiculous." Bree told them. Oliver nodded.

"Yeah. This morning, I came down for a bowl of cereal, and he poured my milk." He added. "It was kinda nice, but also kinda creepy."

"Look, guys, the only reason that AJ's been hanging around so much is because he doesn't have any other friends." Chase reasoned.

"So, he's a mini you." Kaz accused.

"He's a good kid." Maddie reminded us.

"Yes, and it's nice that you guys are looking out for him, but we just need a little bit of space." I explained to them. Oliver nodded.

"Not to mention, it's really risky. We have to keep our superhero status a secret." He added.

Maddie and Chase sighed. "Fine." Maddie grumbled.

"We get it. I'll just go break his heart and tell him he can't hang out with us as much." Chase glared at us, clearly upset with our decision, but respecting it all the same. We all walked back inside, where AJ was snacking on some cookies Alex had sent for Maddie.

"Great cookies." He complimented before rubbing his throat. "Got anything to wet my whistle?"

"You do it." Maddie whispered suddenly, pushing Chase forward a step.

"Uh, AJ, I think we should talk." Chase looked back at the rest of us before continuing. The younger boy's attention was solely on him, a half-eaten cookie in his lap. "There's been some concern, mostly from the others, about you being around so much."

"I get it." To our surprise, AJ smiled at him kindly.

"You do?" Kaz questioned. AJ nodded.

"Of course. You're afraid I'm going to find out they're superheroes." He realized. We all stared at him.

"What?" "Us?" "That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!" Liv, Kaz, and Oliver all exclaimed at the same time.

"They're bionic, AJ." Bree insisted.

"Uh, no you're not." AJ argued, looking at us like we were idiots. He pointed at me, Liv, then at Kaz and then Oliver, "She's an alien, she was given powers by a mystical being, and those two touched the Arcturion space rock."

We all exchanged looks. "He knows too much." Liv whispered, a panicked look on her face. She looked at Kaz. "Light up your fire hand! Take him out."