Chapter 5: Need for Speed

September 4th Centium City penthouse (Maddie's POV)-

I woke up knowing today was gonna be a long day. Today I would have to examine the new designs for the projects that I proposed. That means I have to dress 'professionally' which is the worst. I walked downstairs as I pulled on my heels as well as my blazer over a white blouse and black jeans. I made it downstairs to find Bree and Chase welcoming Douglas.

"Douglas, you're here!" Bree said as she pulled him in for a hug.

"Oh look, your evil uncle daddy is here. Hurray." I said sarcastically as I walked past the group to the table. I grabbed my glasses and tablet before coming back to join them.

"Hey underoos." He smirked and I gave him a tight smile.

"Guys, this is our uncle, Douglas. Well, technically, he's our father." Chase explained.

"Yeah, like we'd ever call him that." Bree laughed.

"Wait, you're the guy who tried to kill them." Kaz accused. Douglas nodded. "Nice to meet you."

"You too, Oliver." Douglas shook his hand. "Though, you're not nearly as scrawny as Chase said you were."

"That's because I'm Oliver." Oliver raised his hand. Douglas observed him for a moment, then nodded.

"Makes more sense." He agreed. Oliver looked down at his ribs, a little embarrassed.

"Alright I have to go. I'll be back later." I said to the group before turning to Chase and Douglas. "Don't blow up the penthouse and don't do anything evil." The two vaguely agreed before pushing me out the door. That's not at all concerning, but I'll deal with them later.

. . .

"Ms. Tompkins, Mr. Turner is waiting in your office for you." I had barely even made it into the building before my day was ruined.

"Who let Turner into my office?" I pinched the bridge of my nose to fight the incoming headache.

"Well uhh- ma'am we really don't have the-" Katie stuttered as I stood before her. I felt bad for making her nervous, but I really didn't mean to. She was usually just the one of the first people I saw at work.

"You know what it's fine." I groaned as I walked around her desk towards the elevator.

I fixed my hair as I rode up to my office dreading the talk with Turner.

"Ms. Tompkins, how are you doing today?" He asked as he smugly sat in my chair. Man how I wanted to- "Well don't just stand there come on in."

"It's my office you turd. You don't need to invite me in." I really need to update security protocols and maybe give Katie a raise. "Why are you in my chair?"

"Oh relax Madison I just came to talk." He got up and started walking around like he owned the place. Like always.

"Please, its Ms. Tompkins for you." I gave him a fake smile as I sat down behind my desk not letting my eyes off him. "Now why do you bother to grace me with your presence today?"

"Well, Ms. Tompkins, I wanted to check on you. See how you're adjusting to the job, the city. You know life out here can be a lot. Especially for a young girl all by herself."

Okay creep. I know that Turner has always had a problem with me since I took over the company. "Is this about my proposal? Cause you know Davenport will agree with me?"

"No, of course not." He took the seat across from me, staring me down. "I came to tell you that I'm making an investment towards the medical technologies program."