Chapter 2: Holding out for a Hero

August 4th Centium City penthouse (Maddie's POV)-

You know some mornings I wish that I had a normal life. I made my way downstairs to get coffee to find Oliver, Chase, and Kaz talking. Ignoring the three I made my way to the kitchen going straight to the coffee pot. I pulled out a mug and poured the last of the coffee in, adding a touch of milk and a pinch of sugar. I was about to drink my coffee when Kaz shot out a fireball setting the table of fire. I ran to grab the fire extinguisher. I dropped my cup and ran to the table, pulling the pin and let the white mist shoot towards the table until all the fire was gone.

"Really? We've lived here for less than a week and you're already destroying the place." Chase said to Kaz dryly as Davenport ran down and joined us.

"I heard an explosion. What happened? Did we get attacked by shape-shifters again?" He asked in a panic and I realized what he was wearing. A skin tight athletic outfit that showed way to much.

"Ah my eyes!" I threw down the tank and covered my eyes trying to forget that image of my boss.

"Ahh! No, but could you cover up?" Chase asked in disgust, throwing the blanket at his father. "I'm seeing a few too many shapes shifting over there."

"What happened?" He asked after taking the blanket.

"I'm guessing a combination of gravity and middle-age." Kaz commented.

"To that." He groaned and pointed out the brunt and broken table.

"Oh, well, um, Oliver and Chase were talking about science, I got bored, I yawned, um, something flew out of my mouth, and voila, I set the table on fire." Kaz explained. I made my way back to the kitchen to find a tilled over cup and my coffee all over the floor.

This was not okay. Now I would have to wait for a whole new pot to brew.

"He found a another super power. It's a fire grenade." Oliver said in excitement. I watched as the new pot began to brew but it was taking longer than I wanted.

"Fire grenade? That's lame. I'm calling it my yawn bomb." Kaz laughed, man he sucked at naming things.

"Yeah, 'cause that's much better." I grumbled from the kitchen.

"So, wait, you just discovered something you didn't even know you had? How many powers were in that space rock?" Chase asked in exasperation. One thing about Chase was when he couldn't understand something he had a hard time trusting it at all.

"That's tough to say. I mean, it didn't really come with a manual, and even if it did, I probably wouldn't read it." Kaz laughed. The pot beeped letting me know that it was done and I made a new coffee.

"This is just like you guys when you unlock new bionic abilities." Davenport thought out loud. It's similar mainly because it was random when you'd find them. O man this coffee is good, I smiled to myself for the first time that morning.

"Oh, yeah, except that our abilities come from a highly advanced infrastructure and theirs come from a magic witch pebble. Woooooo!" Chase mocked.

"Either way, this is a great opportunity for the team. We can teach them to hone their abilities the way I trained you." Davenport said to Chase.

"Superhero school. That sounds like fun." Oliver smiled and I finished the rest of my coffee in one take before joining them.

"School? Boring!" Kaz yawned again, releasing another fire grenade. Chase pulled me out of it's path. He grabbed the extinguisher and put out the fire on the umbrella stand. "Well, that's the last time that umbrella stand attacks us."