Nip In The Bud

Consort Kim Myeon Hye panics as Chief Lady of Kim household, Kim Hae Jin, has called her to her home. When Myeon Hye arrives, the maid escorts her to the hall room. As Myeon Hye enters the hall room, she finds out Hae Jin (the former Court Lady of royal kitchen and now Chief Lady of Andong Kim clan) and current Royal Court Lady of the Royal Kitchen, Kim Tae Hee, are discussing something. Myeon Hye takes her seat in front of the desk. As Myeon Hye sits down, Hae Jin starts, " The Cherry Blossom Festival is only 3 days ahead, but still Concubine Seo isn't showing any sign of miscarriage. What if it doesn't happen until the festival. It will then be announced outside the palace to the general people."

"It's not like I am not doing my task properly, but she is so picky nowadays. She is not even taking all the food I am serving. She is constantly complaining that spices are making her throw-up. She is demanding foods without spices which is making the task so difficult for me as the abortifacient has such a strong smell," Court Lady Kim says with a depressed voice.

"I think it's time to change our strategy," Hae Jin looks at Myeon Hye.

"Yeah," Myeon Hye timidly says. Actually she doesn't want to involve herself in it, she just wants to let others do what they want keeping herself silent.

"Only yes? Myeon Hye, you are not helping us. But we are doing these only for you. Are you a person without backbone? Do you think the emperor will keep you forever in such a position, if you remain so useless? Are you really Kim?" Hae Jin says in an angry voice.

"Tell me what to do then." Myeon Hye says in a bold voice.

        ___________________________

Concubine Park Seung Deok suddenly gets a bit amazed as Able Consort Kim Myeon Hye calls her late at night. Seung Deok shows her respect and waits for a response from Myeon Hye.

"It's really pathetic that you are going to be the most abandoned or probably future lower ranked one among us in the concubines' palace,'' suddenly Myeon Hye starts.

"Why?"

"Concubine Seo will be first born. Then maybe I will. None knows when the crown prince will be born. Either from me or her, then you. So far from an acceptable bloodline for the throne."

Seung Deok hesitates at such bitter truth. Myeon Hye continues, "Or maybe so far. What if Yun Hee gets pregnant again. She is so clever among us. Conquering everything in such a short time. The emperor is giving her so much time nowadays."

Seung Deok doesn't say anything, but she has noticed that too.

"There's a way to save us, Seung Deok. Us meaning you and me, if you don't want to be the most abandoned one."

"What to do?" Seung Deok says in a bit of a hyper voice. Myeon Hye looks at the big doe eyes of Seung Deok which are now filled with curiosity.

"Do you think that the Seo family can protect the firstborn child or if it's the crown prince? Protecting a crown prince is the most dangerous and difficult thing for even higher ranking families like yours or mine. You know the royal tradition after all. Why don't you nip the bud?"

Seung Deok remains silent for few moments then loses her curiosity and replies, "I can't."

"Haha… You are saying this without even trying. Well, some people prefer an abandoned life. Why, Seung Deok? Are you thinking you are alone? Whatever, do you want a deal? What if I don't make you drink that birth control soup once and later support you. After I get my crown prince. Then the palace won't remain in compliance with such strict rules of birth control and you know I influence the royal family. After I get my crown prince, then it will be you. Want such a deal?" Myeon Hye whispers at the last sentence.

"Umm... I don't know. Can you give me some time to think?" Seung Deok says in a confused voice.

"Time? Do you need time? Kill it, Seung Deok. It's not like you have to do it in your own hands. Just help us with a bit of information. Remove it from our way. Who is she to be compared with higher ranks like us?"

         ___________________________

Next day

Seung Deok enters her room after having dinner with Yun Hee. 

And she did it.

Seung Deok's body is trembling now. She shared information with the Royal Kitchen about Yun Hee's preference. She made an unknown court lady add hot mercury (a dangerous poison) to add in Yun Hee's favorite pickled dried fruit jar.

She convinced Yun Hee to eat a poisonous rib dish and porridge. Now she is afraid, although when she left Yun Hee's room, Yun Hee wasn't sick.

Seung Deok doesn't know why she is praying that Yun Hee won't be sick. She is now thinking that she won't agree with Myeon Hye for this.

Seung Deok prepares to sleep.

But she can't sleep while laying on the bed,her heart is beating so fast in an unknown fear.

         ________________________'

Concubine Park sleeps late at night. Her sleep breaks a bit early in the morning hearing a knocking at the door. She responds after a few times. A maid enters inside. She says while taking fast breathing in a sobbing voice, "I am from the east wing, Your Highness. Concubine Seo is so sick. She is throwing up blood. She is asking for you."

            *********************