Offering from Dragon Temple

Queen Mother Gongwon looks at the spiraling golden snake with disgust in her eyes. The snake is in a glass jar placed on the desk in front of her. The Dragon Temple wanted to give this as an offering to the pregnant concubine expecting the dragon heir.

"It's a bit odd to think about a concubine wandering in this palace with a snake. Such a dangerous creature can harm anyone in the palace," the Queen Mother said.

It's customary that a pregnant concubine's special offerings from outside sources should be first accepted by the Queen Mother. But this offering is too much. Emperor Sinjong knew very well that it would be hard to make his mother accept the offering at first.

That's why he invited his mother to his palace after evening tea to let the Chief Monk present the golden snake.

He was so anxious about Concubine Seo's security from unknown enemies and wanted advice from the Chief Monk of the Dragon Temple. It was hard for him to accept the offering as well when the Chief Monk himself offered a golden snake as a guardian to the unborn dragon child. But, the explanation from the Chief Monk seemed more logical to him. Concubine Seo is a special one, who has been reborn in human form from a Dragon Goddess. 

"But it's a Holy Creature, Your Royal Highness. It won't harm anyone except those who will try to harm the blessing of the Dragon Goddess and her representative. This holy serpentine creature has a bloodline relationship with dragons. Ancient obedient dragons of the Goddess have evolved into golden snakes and they are Guardians of the Dragon Temple even now. We all are expecting a Dragon Prince to be born safely," the Chief Monk explains politely to the Queen Mother.

"Mother, why don't we accept something that will be good for our precious Dragon Prince?" Emperor Sinjong's question was just an arrow to his mother in front of the Chief Monk. It means the emperor wants his mother to accept the offering.

Despite her unwillingness, the Queen Mother let the offering be delivered to Concubine Seo.

________________________

At first, it was horrible for Concubine Seo to accept such an offering, but within a short time, the golden snake became nothing but an obedient and docile pet like her cats.

The snake simply follows Concubine Seo like a shadow wherever she goes and stays.

The snake even stays in a glass jar with an expensive silk-made bed given by Concubine Seo in her room. Nowadays, the kitchen ladies and maids think twice while serving her meals, snacks, or any service, as there's a rumor that the snake follows the maids who are suspicious and with whose service Concubine Seo is not happy. 

Despite the snake's presence, the number of Concubine Seo's pet cats is growing day by day.

So, Goryeo is now experiencing a pregnant concubine guarded by a golden snake.

              *******************